Do cockerels roost?

My brooder raised chicks often do not sleep on the roosts at night until they are 10 to 12 weeks of age. I've had some start just after 5 weeks, some wait until longer, but 10 to 12 is close to average for most. When they are ready they figure it out. Until they do they tend to sleep on the floor although they may play on the roosts during the day. It's not that they can't sleep up there, they just don't want to.

From some of the posts on this forum you can get the idea that it is important that they start roosting immediately. For some humans it may be. I prefer to let my chicks figure it out on their own when they are ready. Less stressful to me and probably to them.

every night i put all of them on it since they are newish and most of them stay except for him. he always sleeps on the bottom next to the door. i dont think its an issue of them not excepting him, its just seems like he wants out the door so he just sleeps there...
I have a little roo like this as well. He likes the corner over the nest boxes instead of the roost. I had a talk with him last night about this very subject. He just don’t seem to care about what I have to say.

Back
Top Bottom