Do cockerels roost?

every night i put all of them on it since they are newish and most of them stay except for him. he always sleeps on the bottom next to the door. i dont think its an issue of them not excepting him, its just seems like he wants out the door so he just sleeps there...

My rooster is roughly 16 weeks and he roosts with his Ladies every night. But he didn't initially. He was the last one to figure it out. The girls would be on the bar and he would dig himself a whole in the corner. Gave him another week and he figured it out. Most nights he's one of the first ones up there and the girls roost around him. How old is your roo?

My rooster is roughly 16 weeks and he roosts with his Ladies every night. But he didn't initially. He was the last one to figure it out. The girls would be on the bar and he would dig himself a whole in the corner. Gave him another week and he figured it out. Most nights he's one of the first ones up there and the girls roost around him. How old is your roo?
hes only about 6 weeks but the others have already kinda gotten the hang of it but he just wont

hes only about 6 weeks but the others have already kinda gotten the hang of it but he just wont
It's takes them some time to get used to roosting instead of sleeping on the floor. At least it did for mine. I put some lower roosting bars in the coop initially and I think that helped until he figured it out. Mine were delayed being out in their coop due to the construction of their run. So they were stuck in the brooder longer than I would have liked. But given time they all figured it out. Once I saw they were all up on the bar, I took the smaller bars out to give them more room. He's still pretty young. I would just give it a little more time.

My young group of 10 (5 pullets/5 boys) were sleeping huddled in the corner behind their feeder, I tried putting them on their roost each night. As soon as the coop door was closed I would hear them all jump down so I gave up. They are roughly 13 weeks old right now, and my husband locked them up one night and said they were all on the roost, and they have each night since.

So don't worry, he will get the hang of it, he's just not ready yet!

Back
Top Bottom