do dark yellow or orange yolks mean they are healthier.

Pics
On the paprika, you'd want between .15% - .30%. So, about 1.2-2.4 ounces per 50lbs.

I don't have a ton of experience with Chile powder, but I think it would be a similar amount,
Chile and cayenne are similar, I can use all three interchangeably although the paprika is preferred because the dust does not irritate when inhaled or gets in your eyes.

But having said that, there are many people who do not eat meat and are very healthy, some say more healthy than humans who consume meat. your thoughts?

Lots of people alter their diet away from an omnivore diet, but in my experience, no, they are not always healthier. The most successful people with altered diets have A good handle on their nutritional needs, and actually assess their altered diet on a regular basis to ensure they are getting what the need to the best of their ability. But, even with that, there are some diets that just can’t seem to meet all the nutritional needs of humans.

A bit the same as you were saying with free range. Just because the chickens have a variety in front of them when free ranging (although varies by season), doesn’t mean they will always choose the healthiest option. Just because a chicken owner offers their chickens a balanced whole grain diet, does not mean all chickens will chose to eat every grain equally...they will often pick out their favorites.

I read through a couple pages and as far as I can tell ya'll are missing a great supplement for dark yolks... winter squash! Acron and butternut squash really enhance the yolk color, and it's rather easy to grow, store, and feed all year. My friend who is an organic farmer feeds his hens (250-300) a couple squash a day and his customers are astounded that that is all it is. He feeds other scraps as well, but he only gives extra to the birds and harvested a couple tons of squash this year.

I read through a couple pages and as far as I can tell ya'll are missing a great supplement for dark yolks... winter squash! Acron and butternut squash really enhance the yolk color, and it's rather easy to grow, store, and feed all year. My friend who is an organic farmer feeds his hens (250-300) a couple squash a day and his customers are astounded that that is all it is. He feeds other scraps as well, but he only gives extra to the birds and harvested a couple tons of squash this year.

Yes, squash are good. My girls do enjoy their squash. However, it takes them awhile to eat a small pie pumpkin. Melons, on the other hand, you can practically see the melon flesh fly. In Nov a local farm market, which grows their own pumpkins, was selling the extra pie pumpkins for $0.50/ea. I bought 10! The girls have been enjoying them on occasion.

So here's the interesting thing. Most animals (to my knowledge) in nature have not evolved to have longer or healthier lives, while domesticated animals which depend on people (and people) who have diets that are scientifically formulated for longevity and good health, live longer and healthier into old age than their ancestors.

What about predators?

AC0E42C2-BE67-4D67-975E-C39064E01BE6.jpeg
I don’t add anything for yolk color. They eat a 18% layers pellets and quality treats. Which includes one item from the 4 basic food groups. Protein, grain, fruits and vegetables. (Yep spoiled) in summer the yolks are a bit darker I believe it’s from the insects they find. Fresh eggs are so delicious!!

I only have 2 laying at the moment -- a Cream Legbar and a Sicilian Buttercup.

They both have the same food options -- 20% all-flock pellets, veggie scraps from the kitchen, weeds from the lawn and flower beds, occasional canned cat food or scrambled egg, mealworms and BOSS. They have the same supplement options -- grit, oyster shells and crushed microwaved eggshells.

My SB's yolks are somewhat darker than the CL's and her eggs are much smaller.

Last edited:
We feed Dumor 20% protein all year and add scratch in winter.
Girls usually lay deep yellow orange yolks. Slightly lighter yolks in times of stress ( very high temps, very high humidity, deaths in or in sight of coop).
We give, very occasionally, chicken, turkey, tuna, Mac and cheese (homemade), bread ( home made), crumbled hard boiled eggs in shells, or oatmeal as treats.
They love dandelions, fresh veggies and fruit as well.
My chooks are not spoiled!:lau
In summer we freeze minced fruit and veggies in water as peck blocks.

Back
Top Bottom