Do Ducks eat they own eggs?

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I figured there was no need to start a new one on the same topic. I have a question today, though. My duck has just started eating her eggs, which is fine with me because I don't use them. But, I'm just worried about her health. Is it safe for ducks to eat raw eggs? Since it can be dangerous for humans, I'm concerned about her getting sick.

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I figured there was no need to start a new one on the same topic. I have a question today, though. My duck has just started eating her eggs, which is fine with me because I don't use them. But, I'm just worried about her health. Is it safe for ducks to eat raw eggs? Since it can be dangerous for humans, I'm concerned about her getting sick.
Not sure if it's a health issue or not might be a good idea to ask a vet that question

Okay, thanks, I suppose I won't worry about it for now and I'll bring it up with the vet whenever she ends up needing to go there next. It's strange to me that she just started doing this though! She's been laying eggs for a year now, and she never had any interest in them until the past week when she suddenly started eating them. At first I was worried because I know her pre-egg-laying behaviors, and she was displaying all the signs but there were never any eggs in the pen. Then, today, I noticed the yolk splattered all over her breast feathers! I wonder why she started doing this. It's not a calcium deficiency because she always has oyster shell readily available, and she munches on it voraciously. Well, whatever, I guess she just got curious. Silly bird.
roll.png

I've got 20 chickens and 2 ducks that live together. I only get 1 egg per day. My wife thinks that the ducks are eating the eggs. I told her she was nuts but after reading this maybe I'm wrong.

I also have egg eating ducks. They were locked up 24/7 last summer and started eating their eggs after we started freeranging them this year. I haven't figured out who the culprit is yet but that one will become dinner.

Back
Top Bottom