Do Ducks Fight?

jclu16

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
I have two Peking Ducks that I bought together they are about 2-3 months old. I noticed today that they were either fighting or playing wasn't sure which. So I was wondering, they stay on my deck we have a pen but we have to get some straw and a top so the hawks , owls won't get in. They stay in a tote in our spare bedroom at night. They come in at 8 pm and go back out at 7 am.
I would like to also find a list of what they can eat in vegetables and fruits. First time raising ducks. We always had dogs.

Their feathers I vacuum twice a day in the morning and at bedtime, how long will their feathers the little ones keep falling out?
Lu-Ann Meeks

I have two Peking Ducks that I bought together they are about 2-3 months old. I noticed today that they were either fighting or playing wasn't sure which. So I was wondering, they stay on my deck we have a pen but we have to get some straw and a top so the hawks , owls won't get in. They stay in a tote in our spare bedroom at night. They come in at 8 pm and go back out at 7 am.
I would like to also find a list of what they can eat in vegetables and fruits. First time raising ducks. We always had dogs.

Their feathers I vacuum twice a day in the morning and at bedtime, how long will their feathers the little ones keep falling out?
Lu-Ann Meeks
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
here is some reading for you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=List+of+treats+for+ducklings
y
ou say you have them on your deck from 7am till 8 pm? I hope they have some shade because it can get very hot on an open deck. Don't think they were fighting too young. mature drakes will fight if there are females around and girls will have tifts but at that age they aren't fighting. as for feathers the will lose their down till they completely feather in which will take till about 4 months .

I am not sure but I think they are female and male. I bring them when it is hot and they have shade until about noon and in for a couple of hours. They actually go to their room and take a nap. I tell by their tales hoping that is the right way. I read a duck book.
They have an access to the house I have a screen opening.
Oh and they like to untie my bows on chairs. Need to come up with a duck toy with bows on them, lol

So they have water all the time during the day, right? At their age, it is fine to let them go without water overnight, 8 to 10 hours.

Do you have photo's? They sound wonderful!!

And I am wondering if the fighting is actually "hop on top," breeding behavior. Sometimes mating looks like fighting. When my ducks were sorting things out with the two new girls, what they were doing looked a bit like sumo wrestling.

Now they are about 5 months old and my husband thinks they are two males. They were either fighting of playing. He still insists they would be better off in a public pond with other ducks, which are wild and domesticated. All these ducks come and feed out of your hand. I would rather see them in a friendlier envoirment at a home that I know they would be safe. My place. I just want to know about the winter months ahead since we have not had a winter here in 2 years, but never know what this year would bring. We live in Tennessee between Nashville and Murfreesboro.
jclu

Last edited:
At 5 months old you cam voice sex. Females QUACK males will do a quiet waaak waaaak waaak, almost like a frog. At that age you should be able to see the beginnings of drake feathers as well.

Ducks can take anything a winter in Tennessee can throw at them without batting an eye, just provide a safe place to sleep and water deep enough to dunk their heads.

Releasing domesticated ducks into the wild is illegal in moat, of not all, places. Please don't do that.

I agree - please don't release these domestic ducks into the wild. Despite what you think is going on at that pond, domestic ducks cannot take care of themselves in the wild. If they are 5 months old they should be showing drake feathers - my Pekins showed theirs at 4 months precisely. They should be fine as long as there isn't a female around to fight over.

Ok ducks survived Tennessee weather.They still trying to mate and one has a bit of a raw neck from the other biting him. I can't afford a lady friend for them. Don't want to give them up. They are funny to watch and make you laugh. My husband said they need a girl friend. Husband has COPD just been diagnosed in December it takes alot out him to walk. I work full time and don't see them my ducks til I am off and lately overtime. First weekend off sine December.
The ducks are housed together. When you let out to stretch at least two times a day three in the summer an hour at a time, they stick together.
[email protected]

With two drakes, I would not add one duck (female). They just might kill her. And you may want to separate them at night with a plastic poultry fence, to give them a break. Does either of them quack? What breed are they?

They are Peking and they quack the male quack. They are constantly with each other. Here is a picture when the one has no bald spot.

Back
Top Bottom