Do ducks get lice when with infested chickens?

I'm worry about using posion that can be air born with my chickens. What I'm going to try is "ashes" from the fireplace which I used as a child on my chickens, I put it in there bath area. See how it goes.... Always looking for a natural way to do it, hope I dont sound too weird.
he.gif

When I treat my chickens for mites which we had a big outbreak of last year about this time, I bought Epernix pour-on and used it on both my chickens and ducks and goose, Now I treat my ducks and goose 2 times a year spring and fall and chickens 3 times. you use the Epernix like frontline, and no egg withdrawl.

I have used sevin, I dust my ducks bedding once a month, just a a preventative. If it is mites and not lice, i would probably recommend ivermectin, topically in the right dosages, there is an egg withdrawal period, but there is tons of info on using ivermec. I think you can also treat with spinosad (its an organic pest control).

I have over 25 ducks and over 60 wild ducks that come daily to my pond. I have a duck with a malformed beak. I noticed she was limping so i brought her in to check her out. Besides what looks like an infected sticker bush scrape...I noticed her bottom feathers (from chest down) was wet. On further inspection I found she was INFESTED with what looks like two different kinds of bugs. I am thinking they are the reason her oil gland is swollen and hard. Does anyone know if they could cause that. And also, how would I treat 25 free range ducks? PLEASE HELP!!

When I treat my chickens for mites which we had a big outbreak of last year about this time, I bought Epernix pour-on and used it on both my chickens and ducks and goose, Now I treat my ducks and goose 2 times a year spring and fall and chickens 3 times. you use the Epernix like frontline, and no egg withdrawl.
I ordered Epernix pour on from Jeffers on line sure if Feed stores carry it ours didn't. Front line spray is also suppose to work.

I have heard from a few chicken farmers that this is a REALLY BAD year regarding chicken lice..... my girls have it,, when I went to the store to get some sevin... THEY WERE SOLD OUT !!!! I talked to a few chick owners and another chicken site that I belong to and have been told to try wood ashes...... some even swear by it... that it works like a charm !! I have no other choice untill monday when Tractor Supply gets their order in ! was also recommended to sprinkle lime at the bottom of roosting boxes ..... we shall see !!

Back
Top Bottom