Do ducks need swimming water?

Do ducks need water to swim in?

• Yes! They need access to swimming water at all times.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No! They can swim, but it's optional; they don't need to swim in water.

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
When someone asks "does such and such animal need this or that" i tend to assume they are asking what they require to be generally optimally content and humanely cared for, not what they require merely to survive. access to water is a part of a ducks basic nature and tied into their whole lives just as chickens need to scratch and dust and children need to play.

if you cannot provide for the basic welfare needs of an animal appropriate to its inherent nature you should not keep that animal. i know that may not always be what people want to hear, but that doesnt make it less important.

Last edited:
I say yes because if a duck cannot clean their feathers they can become unhealthy and dry, and look something like the cracked dry dirt that hasent seen water in a long time. It's best to just give them a kiddie pool to clean themselves if you don't have any natural water features.

I say yes because if a duck cannot clean their feathers they can become unhealthy and dry, and look something like the cracked dry dirt that hasent seen water in a long time. It's best to just give them a kiddie pool to clean themselves if you don't have any natural water features.
Have you seen ducks at fairs and such? After a week there they dont look so good 'cause they dont have bathing water

When someone asks "does such and such animal need this or that" i tend to assume they are asking what they require to be generally optimally content and humanely cared for, not what they require merely to survive. access to water is a part of a ducks basic nature and tied into their whole lives just as chickens need to scratch and dust and children need to play.

if you cannot provide for the basic welfare needs of an animal appropriate to its inherent nature you should not keep that animal. i know that may not always be what people want to hear, but that doesnt make it less important.
Sorry for the late reply, but that's very true! Many sources over the internet will tell you that ducks are better than, and are the same as raising chickens, which I disagree with. Ducks, in fact, are actually water birds like seagulls, pelicans, penguins, etc. In my opinion, chickens are better than ducks. Anybody agree?

I wouldn't say that one species is "better" than another. I think it's all in personal preference. I have chickens and ducks. I enjoy then all, but my ducks definitely have a special place in my heart. They're so cute and innocent and curious.... I just want to pick them up and squeeze them. And often times I do (not squeeze them, just cuddle them lol). That being said, I only have two ducks and I have 22 chickens. I had 5 ducks (3 were adult drakes that were rescued). The drakes were not very nice and the mess that 5 ducks make was more than I was willing to deal with. To me the ducks are by far more work than chickens. We culled the drakes (they were tasty) and now I have 2 left that I hatched from eggs. They are very messy. I have to change the litter in their house every other day, their water gets changed about 100 times per day. There is constantly large piles of duck poo on the back porch, and they spill their food everywhere. We have a few frog ponds that they go in and the pumps and filters constantly need cleaned/changed. That's with two ducks. Im not complaining I'm just explaining my duck care. The chickens need very minimal care compared to the ducks but that is my opinion. I love them but two is my limit on on ducks.

Yes, ducks are waterfowl, and need at least a little kiddie wading pool to take a bath and play in the water. Landfowl, chickens etc. are a great option for all those who don't want to bother with water for waterfowl.

I wouldn't say that one species is "better" than another. I think it's all in personal preference. I have chickens and ducks. I enjoy then all, but my ducks definitely have a special place in my heart. They're so cute and innocent and curious.... I just want to pick them up and squeeze them. And often times I do (not squeeze them, just cuddle them lol). That being said, I only have two ducks and I have 22 chickens. I had 5 ducks (3 were adult drakes that were rescued). The drakes were not very nice and the mess that 5 ducks make was more than I was willing to deal with. To me the ducks are by far more work than chickens. We culled the drakes (they were tasty) and now I have 2 left that I hatched from eggs. They are very messy. I have to change the litter in their house every other day, their water gets changed about 100 times per day. There is constantly large piles of duck poo on the back porch, and they spill their food everywhere. We have a few frog ponds that they go in and the pumps and filters constantly need cleaned/changed. That's with two ducks. Im not complaining I'm just explaining my duck care. The chickens need very minimal care compared to the ducks but that is my opinion. I love them but two is my limit on on ducks.
Amen! I formerly had a Muscovy duck (I got her as a duckling) and you are correct. I had a very similar experience to yours, only I had 1 duck instead of 2, and have noticed that ducks are not as affectionate as chickens and other landfowl. I released her at a golf course next to Quiet Cannon in Montebello on 11/20/16 and got her on 9/11 on that same year. I was unable to provide the adequate care requirements once she matured, as I don't have a pool large enough for her to swim comfortably in; she's too big! Waterfowl are more work than landfowl (like quails), and I'm not getting one again, which leads to my opinion that landfowl (or game birds) are better than waterfowl. I mean, I choose game birds over waterfowl, since they're cleaner, easier to maintain, and I'm able to fulfill their welfare needs properly, much more so than waterfowl.

Here's my Muscovy duck swimming in her pool:

...and here's the duck's release:

Hope this helps!

Actually I like ducks better. I know I was complaining but I feel like ducks are more affectionate than my chickens. When they were ducklings they thought I was their mommy and would cry and cry when they couldn't see me (the ones I hatched). Even today they still follow me around the yard and try to come in the house when I go in. They're so sweet. It was the rescues that weren't nice but they grew up wild. The chickens are nice too but I don't really have a problem culling and eating them. I couldn't even imagine doing that to my baby ducks.

Here they are all grown up

Back
Top Bottom