Do ducks need swimming water?

Do ducks need water to swim in?

• Yes! They need access to swimming water at all times.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No! They can swim, but it's optional; they don't need to swim in water.

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Well, everyone has made some excellent points on whether or not ducks need the swimming water, so I got nothing there.

But I did find a good use for our duck pool water; we use a sump pump to pump it out of the pool and into the garden. Usually on areas that are being redone or ones that don't have fresh veg in them though... Perfect for the compost pile in our arid climate. The stuff that grows in the areas we use it in are incredibly fertile. Great fertilizer ;)

In winter it freezes, but we have a creek in our backyard for them to go to if they want. We have Mallards, so they can also fly off and find water, but they like me to just fill them a panful in the mornings, and maybe on a nice day I'll fill their pool for them. They enjoy it but they'll swim in their water pan if they feel like it, too.

Ducks vs chickens? I'm the chicken lady, DH is the duck man. I prefer birds that are less needy and more gracious with eggs ;) But I gotta admit, watching the mallards do their morning and evening flybys and landing right in their pool is something pretty awesome to see, and my chickens can't do that :p

The poo? Well, I don't see duck poo in the yard but there's chicken poo everywhere. But that's not fair; the ducks are scattered all over the place and the chickens are all in one spot. Both coops get poopy but the duck one stinks worse...lol why do we always end up talking about poo on here? :D

If anything has horrible poo though, its geese :p

Last edited:
Ducks are not any more needy than chickens. And my khakis give me an egg a day, even now with less light. The chickens are the ones that are slackin off.
1f601.png

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about this, since I've never had ducks before. Hence the title, do ducks (or any sort of waterfowl) need swimming water?

To clarify this, waterfowl need water to drink. Yet when it comes to swimming, do they need water to swim in? If so, is it that crucial (do they really need this)? Like, what's the importance of swimming water? Go ahead and answer in the poll and share your experiences!

Any help is, and will be, greatly appreciated (no offensive comments, please). Thanks in advance!
Do you need air to breathe? I thought so...
tongue2.gif

Just had to chime in there... Looks like you already got some answers
thumbsup.gif

Ducks are not any more needy than chickens. And my khakis give me an egg a day, even now with less light. The chickens are the ones that are slackin off.
1f601.png

I dunno lol, I watch DH flip and change that pool every other day in the summer, while I'm kicking back enjoying an iced latte with my slackers :D

He accuses me of "not liking his ducks" and I do, but they're mallards, so its not like I can go cuddle a wild duck. I had runners, but a weasel did his thing and well, you know :( I'd get more if it wasn't for that water changing thing :p

I think it's just like cats and dogs; some people are just cat people, and some are dog people. ;)

Right. Ducks and dogs go together, and chickens and cats are on the other side
lol.png

Every other day? How big are those pools?? I have to change mine every day in the summer...
Not that thats more work for me...
wink.png

Last edited:
Right. Ducks and dogs go together, and chickens and cats are on the other side:lol:  

Every other day? How big are those pools?? I have to change mine every day in the summer...
Not that thats more work for me...;)

Ha-ha, and ya know what? DH has a dog and I have a cat :D The duck man can't stand cats lol; must be something to that for sure ;)

They're the kiddie pools from Wally world, the big ones, like 2' deep and 6' across or so? We use the little ones in winter though since they freeze if we forget to dump it and its a big hassle trying to tip it over.

Where are the chickens? Oh, over there all dry and clean, already laying eggs and busy with their day while the ducks are standing there quacking like they're going to die without fresh water to poo in, stat. :D

Last edited:
Ha-ha, and ya know what? DH has a dog and I have a cat :D The duck man can't stand cats lol; must be something to that for sure ;)

They're the kiddie pools from Wally world, the big ones, like 2' deep and 6' across or so? We use the little ones in winter though since they freeze if we forget to dump it and its a big hassle trying to tip it over.

Where are the chickens? Oh, over there all dry and clean, already laying eggs and busy with their day while the ducks are standing there quacking like they're going to die without fresh water to poo in, stat. :D
I try to be nice to the cat. Not my fault he hates me lol
You just have the wrong ducks for eggs. I got 4 this morning, bright and early at 7, from four ducks. I collect them and get on with the day. With chickens you have to keep goin out coz they lay all through the day, and they will eat them, or the eggs will freeze if you don't collect them soon enough.

1f601.png
Ducks can be quite picky.My ducks will not use their pool unless its completely fresh and isnt the slightest dirty buy will swim in the dirty pomg

Back
Top Bottom