Do ducks not lay every day?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aleciasayshii, Sep 3, 2009.

1. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    I know that my little female indian runner has already been laying (previous owners told me so), she is very happy here, I bring her in (diaper of course, no naked ducks inside) and she loves me and she loves her boyfriend a ton...
    Plus both their spoiled butts get tons of treats.

My question is though, is there any way to entice her to lay or does she only lay every once and a while or what?
    Any way to get her to lay every day or does that change with age?
    She is 7 months... and her and my baby boy haven't been mating either. (I understand, since they're people confused, I'll give em time to work that out.)

2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    if she hatched a clutch of eggs resently then it might take her a few mths. my magpie i got from another byc member had just hatched a clutch then mothered my ducklings i had ordered then molted and i am still waiting for her to lay or mate. i got this magpie a few mths ago. i know that it isnt the same deal as with you but give her time and once she starts laying you should get them almost everyday. also watch out for hiding spots. if she finds a good 1 you might run across a hole mess of eggs [​IMG]

3. aleciasayshii

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    No she hasn't hatched ducklings ever... I don't think she's mated with a duck EVER. Hahhaha.
    She sleeps by the fence and her day spot is in the corner of my backyard so she's under the shade.
    She tries to stay close to the fence so when someone comes out she can see them. She's such a dork.

4. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    has the drake tried to mate her yet?

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

My Rouen hatched ducklings in MAY and hasnt layed an egg since... I dont expect to see anything anytime soon either, shes so pathetic at keeping a schedule of any kind.

6. aleciasayshii

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    No. They're both species confused.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Our runners were laying every day until they went broody and then went through a molt. Looks like they just started laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by