Do ducks really need inside space?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have six ducks and 22 chickens. My "coop" is a 10 x 16 shed, and the ducks currently have it to themselves. In a few days, it'll have huge runs on either side - one for the ducks and one for the chicks. They'll also get free-range time most days unless I'm not home or super busy.

The run on the duck side is half-covered with a metal roof and half-covered with hardware cloth. It's really nice. I know ducks don't like to go up at night as chickens do, so they may stay out. It's got shade and sun and will protect them from the weather (I'm in the middle of Georgia, and heat is more of an issue than cold.)

The run on the chicken side will be covered with garden netting since they will put themselves up at night and our main day-time predator is a hawk. I may eventually change that to hardware cloth too since we have a fox who likes to hang around in the middle of the day on occasion. Run walls are between 6-8 feet tall.

So, my question is about the building. My original plan was to put a hardware cloth wall inside the shed to keep ducks and chickens separate but let them see each other. Ducks would only get about 4 x 10 feet, chickens would get 12 x 10. However, I keep reading that ducks don't necessarily need an inside space as long as they have a lean-to or somewhere that they can get out of the elements. I think I'm afraid I'll go to all the trouble (and spend the money) to make the wall, and the ducks won't step foot back inside once they're out. I'm just wondering what everyone else does for their ducks. Do they need that inside space? Thanks!

Edited to add a picture of the duck run (you can see the rafters where the metal roof will be, and the hardware cloth will cover the rest, which you can't see it all because it comes out a good ways...)

Attachments

• run.jpg
    run.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 45
I agree. Ducks need an indoor place to hunker down at night especially and to get out of the elements when needed. They can learn to nest indoors as well. My ducks prefer to forage all day, but they also go inside their duck house to lay eggs. Unlock them up at night so that night time predators don't find a tasty treat.

My ducks have their own 5x5 house (I think that’s the dimensions I used) that they go in and are locked in at night. If they aren’t free ranging in the top lot by the pond they will also sometimes go in it during the days I like having it because if it’s raining I can put their feed inside and it doesn’t get all yucky. Seeing as both predator attacks We’ve had were in the run I lock them up at night earlier than the chickens. But it sounds like you will have a predator proof run for them. I guess it’s really up to you, but I feel better providing them a shelter. Plus the girls have started laying in a corner of their house.

Thanks, y'all. My run should definitely be predator-proof, but I know to never say never. They'll also have a little shelter in the run (like a lean-to) to keep their food out of the rain. I just know how much they enjoy their space and their pool, and I can't imagine keeping them locked up for so long, especially during mating season! I may have to think about it a little bit more.

Thanks, y'all. My run should definitely be predator-proof, but I know to never say never. They'll also have a little shelter in the run (like a lean-to) to keep their food out of the rain. I just know how much they enjoy their space and their pool, and I can't imagine keeping them locked up for so long, especially during mating season! I may have to think about it a little bit more.
even if they have all the space they could ever want, 7 boys will kill 2 girls

My ducks free range during the day as long as there is no predator pressure.

Yeah, I don't know where you got 7 and 2? I have a far better ratio than that and adding a few more girls soon for good measure.

Back
Top Bottom