Do eggs need to be refrigerated or not?

Just steam them. Get a veggie steaming basket for your pot or use a strainer that fits over it. Rinse each one in cold water right before peeling. Don't rinse them all at once. You want them as warm as possible right up to when they get peeled and then you want to cool them as quickly as possible so the contents contract away from the shell right before you peel. I just carry the steamer basket over by the sink, start the cold water, pick each one up and quickly hold it under the water before it gets too hot for my hands. Peel quickly as soon as it's cool enough to not have to hold under the water. Doing that I can perfectly peel eggs laid the same day very quickly and it's the only way to peel quail eggs especially tiny button eggs.

Steam them? Not boil?

How long and for what size?

I've been boiling my eggs by putting in warm water, turning the water to high, getting it to a good rolling boil, then taking the pan off heat, putting a lid on and leaving them for 15 minutes (medium) or 18 minutes (large). Then I drain and run under cool water.

Quote:
I hid a cartonful in the bottom drawer. I think it'll take longer than a week though.

We boiled some fresh ones last week and although the insides made for the prettiest boiled eggs I've ever seen, you tore the outsides all to pieces peeling them.
hmm.png

Look here at the first post of this thread. I spent 38 years trying to get fresh eggs to peel properly, actually, less than that, cause in a pinch if I needed prettily peeled eggs I'd go buy them!
ep.gif
Yep, HORRORS!

This goes totally against the way I learned to boil eggs, or, actually NOT to boil them. I always just brought the eggs/water to a boil, then covered them and turned them off for 14 minutes. With FRESH eggs though, that's NOT what you do!!!

Read this! Crazy easy way to make hard boiled eggs

Last edited:
You can't over steam eggs like you can over boil them. I think the average time quoted for a chicken egg is 20mins. I don't alter the time for the tiny quail eggs even though they are probably done sooner. If you steam an older egg that could be boiled and peeled easy the shell practically falls off when you go to peel.
tongue.png
I can just split it down the middle and pop off the ends. If you really like hard boiled eggs or making deviled eggs get an egg steamer. It will pay for itself very quickly. I keep meaning to get one and forgetting. I just toss a large strainer basket with sloped sides in a tall spaghetti pot so the width of the top keeps it from sliding any farther in, pour in water, add eggs to basket, turn the stove somewhere between medium and high, and put the lid on. When I get done with whatever I wandered off to do which is usually about 30mins later I use an oven mitt to lift the strainer basket out and set it by the sink. Rinse, peel, rinse, and drop in a bowl. I haven't done more than put a few cracks in the white of an egg in probably the past year doing it that way even when peeling quail eggs I just got from the pens.

Last edited:
Hello Everybody, I know this thread has been up for a while but I will just add something
smile.png
I am a newbie chickenowner, I got mine in January 2010 and my white chicken (a hybrid) is laying eggs since 2 weeks, pretty green in color. About a week ago, we introduced the two adults (born in January) to six new Australorps and my white chicken had stopped laying eggs in her nesting box in the coop and his since decided to lay in our iris flower bed. I thought that she was just too stressed to lay eggs in the coop but this morning I saw her head poke out between the Irises. After she was done, I checked and found 6 eggs! So she must have been laying there the past 5-6 days and I wonder if I can still eat the eggs, I have not washed them. I live in Colorado, it gets pretty hot here but the area where she laid them was in the shade and the dirt is cool and moist.

Thanks!

Elli

I would be interrested in knowing this also. I have several concrete floored sheds on our property, and the chickens love to lay eggs in there. Sometimes I come up on a new batch. The concrete is always cool to the touch even when its in the high 90's. Would floating them work in that case to see if they are bad?

Lanae

Hi Lanae,

I floated them and all stayed on the bottom, good sign! I ate three of them and they were fine. I was worried, too because they were out in the flower bed for 5-6 days but too precious to waste. I think my girl was too stressed to lay it in the coop when the young ones ran around her, but now they are used to each other and she lays her eggs in her nesting box again.

Back
Top Bottom