Do either of these EEs look like a roo??

JenHP

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Hydesville, CA
Hi all. This is my first time raising chicks and I'm fairly clueless when it comes to sexing them before they're fully grown, at which point their sex becomes more obvious. I've read some of the threads on sexing EEs and didn't find them all that helpful, so I'm hoping that those of you with more experience and knowledge can tell if there are any obvious signs as to whether these are pullets or not. These "girls" are a couple days shy of being 5 weeks old. The one with the black and orange coloring has been exhibiting some "guardian of the coop" behaviors, and today I noticed that her body and tail are bigger than the other two EEs. I wasn't concerned about the white/black/brown one possibly being a roo until I read that the neck feathers of the roos would be skinnier, which "hers" seem like they might be. What do you guys think?

A comparison of the tails of the two EEs in question.

They all have the classic ee pullet coloring, nothing flashy and patchy on them to be boys. No red combs either. My pullets have always looked like these. They are girls.

Thanks very much for the responses. So far the majority says pullet. I'd still love to hear from some other experienced EE raisers. Anybody else care to throw out an opinion?

Nurse turtle, just curious about what makes you think these are roosters? As Lindsey B pointed out, they don't have the flashy or patchy coloring that I've been seeing in pics of EE roos. Also, both of them have practically zero in terms of comb development. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom