Do fans help cut down on the fly count?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
It's starting to get 70-80F here and I'm seeing flies make their way into my backyard and my chicken's coop. The coop stays pretty cool and there aren't too many flies in there. I try and clean out the poo regularly and spray it down with vinegar every couple days. I'm wondering if a solar powered fan might help reduce the flies in the backyard where they free range. Anyone have experience with this?

It's starting to get 70-80F here and I'm seeing flies make their way into my backyard and my chicken's coop. The coop stays pretty cool and there aren't too many flies in there. I try and clean out the poo regularly and spray it down with vinegar every couple days. I'm wondering if a solar powered fan might help reduce the flies in the backyard where they free range. Anyone have experience with this?
Fans were recommended on a poultry site where they were discussing flies. I was just researching it. I use Starbar Stable Fly Traps in the barn and in in the Duck and goose cages when they are outside. They do not have poison in them. They attract flies because they are a clear plastic that is fluted. I use multiple ways to kill flies because we also have horses. Since I'm out there in shorts they are biting me too LOL Tempo fly spray is one of the ones we spray with to knock them down when numbers are increasing, maybe once a week starting in mid June. Then we put the Starbar Bite Free Stable Fly traps out to catch the stragglers while the animals are outside.

For fans, I think you will need one that is a strong high volume fan to get any real help. We have agricultural fans in each stall with sealed motors so they can be power sprayed off. They are safe for outdoor use. Missouri is so hot in the summer I've thought about putting them up in the run in sheds in the dry lots LOL For now when it gets over about 94 degrees, I bring them to the barn and power spray all the horses and they go back into stalls under fans, till after dinner. Then they can stay out all night. This is the type I use in the duck pens: https://www.farmtek.com/prod/pg104668.html But they do need to be mounted to something. Farmtek is great to deal with.

I took this photo last night. Three of our flock were enjoying the bug free zone.
Fan.jpg

I took this photo last night. Three of our flock were enjoying the bug free zone.
View attachment 3540068
We used sealed motor agricultural fans in their large barn pens for our ducks, not for flies but for extra ventilation since the big 12x12' pens are in converted predator proofed stalls. We mount the fans about 2 ft off the ground and they LOVE their fans in the Missouri heat and humidity in the summer. They are outside during the day but nights here can still be very hot. They LOVE their fans!

Back
Top Bottom