Do female ducks need a male for protection?

jennytg3

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
portland
I have 3 runner ducks, two females and one male. I'm considering re-homing the male because he screws the females A LOT - one has a bare patch on her neck and both have had leg issues which I'm wondering if he caused. However, they all hang out in a pack together and he seems to keep a lookout while they are eating.

I want to do what's best for the two females so they are happy and feel safe. I don't know if they'd be happier with or without him. I wish I could ask them!
smile.png
The male is also super aggressive towards me, but I can deal with that, it's more about the female ducks' happiness.

Any thoughts/input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

i don't know if it makes any difference but...i have 2 females and they take turns "mating" with each other....LOL..sounds like he's protective of his girls.

Some breeds tend to do that if they don't have enough females. My runner is also an aggressive breeder. I didn't want to rehome him, so I got him 3 more females. If you want to keep him, you may want to consider more hens. That will give your two a break if he has more to choose from!
Otherwise, 2 hens alone should be fine. They don't need a drake unless you want them to hatch their eggs.

No, the ducks don't need a drake for protection. They are very alert themselves and a drake doesn't go out and do battle like a gander does.

You know, your ducks are doing exactly what ducks do. I would not keep a drake that showed even the slightest aggression towards humans, but any drake is going to mate constantly.

My suggestion? Re-home that drake, preferably into your freezer, buy a different drake and hope for better temperament, and get 2 more ducks so the drake has 4 girlfriends to share his attentions.

Your drake isn't protecting your ducks when he is aggressive with you. He simply has a bad temperament (or you've spoiled him to the point that he is dangerous)

Even though they arent supposed to, My runner drake is VERY protective of his girls. They don't need him, but he's more than happy to chase off anyone who gets too close.
My disabled girl Frances is a lap duck, When i pick her up for snuggles Stanley (My formerly disabled drake) goes crazy! He's terrified of people but when I aproach Frances he tries to chase me away, he'll stand at my feet and flap trying to reach her.
He's also great about chasing away the cats and the obnoxious new puppy. I definatly think my hens are safer with him.

I would get more females. it never makes a duck happy to split up their flock.

Emily

My drakes never protect the girls, they are nothing like a rooster who will put his life on the line for his hens. If he's causing your girls grief then get rid of him, they don't need him. Really, he's only there to breed them.

X2. Drakes won't protect the flock and the girls will not be unsafe without him. My drakes chase each other off (so they kind of help their girls keep access to the pond and treats) but they do nothing to help the ladies in any other way. If danger threatened, they'd run off with the rest. I would not put up with a drake that was aggressive towards me. You are the boss, not him.

My male is very sweet towards me and loves our female duck. My worry is he is wearing out the back of her head grabbing her to push her underwater while he has her way with her. Anyone know of anything that I can do to protect that area on her? A duck hoodie?

Back
Top Bottom