Do hens attack sick hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Danielle and her chicks, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Danielle and her chicks

Danielle and her chicks Hatching

Nov 13, 2019
    Hi there my name is Danielle and I’ve had a backyard flock for 1.5 years now.
    8 of which have been together since getting chickens , 5 large breed ( maran, barred rock, Easter egger and 2 RIR) and 3 silkies.

Lately ( last 2 weeks) the barred rock has gotten sick and is isolated.

The chickens have always got along and have an acre to free range and have a large coop.

Today the EE,RIR and marran held down one of the silkies and attacked her as a group. My husband made the silkie safe and they went about their day.
    When I got home and went to close the coop for the night the silkie was dead and the feathers plucked out.

Why would they all start to attack her suddenly , they never had a mean side before especially the marran.

Any advice would be great, thank you. I’m one sad chicken momma tonight. I feel so bad for what my sweet silkie went through tonight from her “family”

sourland likes this.
  2. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Songster

Jun 25, 2014
    That's horrible,so sad this happened to you!:hit:hugs Yes chickens usually attack or more often drive away sick or different looking chickens(like Silkies to your "normal" hens) Always be wary of their health if a flock starts acting more aggressive to each other. Fall is molting time as well and most chickens are very cranky as they renew their feathers for the year.

EDIT: I recommend you separate your other Silkies if you can because with 2 left the other's will notice the difference in them too and attack.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome sorry for the circumstances. The removal of the barred rock from the flock may have upset the pecking order and increased aggression in the flock. I'd keep a close eye on things to forestall any more casualties.

4. Danielle and her chicks

Danielle and her chicks Hatching

Nov 13, 2019
    Thank you for your replies I will keep all of these things in mind. Happy clucking

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Proper nutrition for certain breeds is a must because behaviour will change if feed isn't 100% balanced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: