Do hens crow??

zoomblur

In the Brooder
May 19, 2019
Kidding! But now I’m wondering if I have a rooster. These are 15 weeks old, and until now I had no doubt of the sex of these babies I’ve raised. Last week, one of them got a little pushy with me and today it let out 2 yells, like it was trying to crow but still sounded very “hen-like”. I’ve never raised them from babies before so is this a hen phase before they start laying or is this one sexed wrong? Thanks for any advice!
D3E8CC5B-EAEA-4AFD-ACA3-FB9217E86DDD.jpeg
A55500A9-309B-43EC-BE3F-A7056826352E.jpeg

Kidding! But now I’m wondering if I have a rooster. These are 15 weeks old, and until now I had no doubt of the sex of these babies I’ve raised. Last week, one of them got a little pushy with me and today it let out 2 yells, like it was trying to crow but still sounded very “hen-like”. I’ve never raised them from babies before so is this a hen phase before they start laying or is this one sexed wrong? Thanks for any advice!View attachment 2275135View attachment 2275136

Dominant hens, or hens that become flock-leaders, can sometimes crow.

Kidding! But now I’m wondering if I have a rooster. These are 15 weeks old, and until now I had no doubt of the sex of these babies I’ve raised. Last week, one of them got a little pushy with me and today it let out 2 yells, like it was trying to crow but still sounded very “hen-like”. I’ve never raised them from babies before so is this a hen phase before they start laying or is this one sexed wrong? Thanks for any advice!View attachment 2275135View attachment 2275136

Although, that MIGHT be a rooster. Does it have saddle feathers?

I had a pullet that crowed each morning until she started to lay. Then she stopped. :confused:

Your bird's tail feathers are very green and shiny which would usually indicate a cockerel, but I'm not familiar with the breed so I'm not sure.

I had a pullet that crowed each morning until she started to lay. Then she stopped. :confused:

Your bird's tail feathers are very green and shiny which would usually indicate a cockerel, but I'm not familiar with the breed so I'm not sure.
I was noticing those green feathers too.
Although both hens and cockerels can get it, it looks a bit suspicious to me.

Hence why I'm not happy to say pullet without checking.

There isn't tons of comb development for a young cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom