Do hens get frisky?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BGcoop, Sep 15, 2018.

1. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    I have a Rhode Island Red that I think is getting ready to start laying. She has just started to explore the nest boxes and is scratching around and sitting in them. She is almost 5 months old. She is being very vocal today and not letting any of the other hens in the coop with her, however at one point both my roosters were allowed in. She began following them around and pecking at their toes. When they stood still she would crawl between their legs like she was trying to get them to mate with her. IS THIS NORMAL???

2. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Yeah...they have needs too.:caf

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    :thumbsup Some do turn into floozies. :)

4. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    When she puts a red light in the coop window you need to worry. Other than that, pretty normal.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Funny stuff...but...if she wanted to be mated she would squat down in front of them.
    Crawling under another bird is usually 'fear' or 'distress' and she's trying to 'hide'.
    ....to continue the funny...she's got PMS(hormone surges) and is just nuts.

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed. I've noticed pullets get pecked and chased for what appears to be no apparent reason - only to see them begin to lay a day or so after. I am guessing the hormonal change associated with the onset of laying results in subtle behavioural changes that the rest of the flock pick up on and act accordingly. This could suggest the pullet finding "refuge" with the cock birds :confused:

Chick-N-Fun and BGcoop like this.
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't know what I consider normal with chickens, about anything can happen. That's part of what makes chicken TV better than anything on cable, satellite, or antenna. They can be so funny.

Exploring the nests and scratching in them is a pretty good sign that you can expect an egg before too long. Many pullets start looking for a safe place to lay an egg a week or so before they start laying. Sometimes roosters help in that search.

Cockerels' hormones cause them to do some strange stuff as they are approaching maturity. Why would pullets be any different when their hormones hit?

8. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    That’s interesting! When she was following the boys they would jump into the nest boxes too which I have never seen them go into before. I guess they Were helping her look for a spot.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Definitely a sure fire sign that she's preparing to lay eggs.

BGcoop likes this.
  10. Kylo_Hen!

Kylo_Hen! Songster

Jun 28, 2018
    yupyup!

BGcoop likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: