Do hens get frisky?

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
I have a Rhode Island Red that I think is getting ready to start laying. She has just started to explore the nest boxes and is scratching around and sitting in them. She is almost 5 months old. She is being very vocal today and not letting any of the other hens in the coop with her, however at one point both my roosters were allowed in. She began following them around and pecking at their toes. When they stood still she would crawl between their legs like she was trying to get them to mate with her. IS THIS NORMAL???

Funny stuff...but...if she wanted to be mated she would squat down in front of them.
Crawling under another bird is usually 'fear' or 'distress' and she's trying to 'hide'.
....to continue the funny...she's got PMS(hormone surges) and is just nuts.
Agreed. I've noticed pullets get pecked and chased for what appears to be no apparent reason - only to see them begin to lay a day or so after. I am guessing the hormonal change associated with the onset of laying results in subtle behavioural changes that the rest of the flock pick up on and act accordingly. This could suggest the pullet finding "refuge" with the cock birds :confused:

I don't know what I consider normal with chickens, about anything can happen. That's part of what makes chicken TV better than anything on cable, satellite, or antenna. They can be so funny.

Exploring the nests and scratching in them is a pretty good sign that you can expect an egg before too long. Many pullets start looking for a safe place to lay an egg a week or so before they start laying. Sometimes roosters help in that search.

Cockerels' hormones cause them to do some strange stuff as they are approaching maturity. Why would pullets be any different when their hormones hit?

I don't know what I consider normal with chickens, about anything can happen. That's part of what makes chicken TV better than anything on cable, satellite, or antenna. They can be so funny.

Exploring the nests and scratching in them is a pretty good sign that you can expect an egg before too long. Many pullets start looking for a safe place to lay an egg a week or so before they start laying. Sometimes roosters help in that search.

Cockerels' hormones cause them to do some strange stuff as they are approaching maturity. Why would pullets be any different when their hormones hit?
That’s interesting! When she was following the boys they would jump into the nest boxes too which I have never seen them go into before. I guess they Were helping her look for a spot.

Back
Top Bottom