Do hens "practice" laying eggs?

hangin'witthepeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Colbert, GA
I have 7 18-week old (2 RSL, 3 BR, 1 SLW). I have others too, but they are younger. One RSL started laying Sunday. I got my first perfect little egg and it was yummy. She has consistently laid an egg every day. Yesterday I got a big egg, same size as the Large eggs in the store. Today she was in there when I checked and then I came back later when I saw her in the run. I found one BR in there so I thought YIPPIE!! When I saw her out in the run I went back and found 1 small egg. So did the RSL lay a small egg today and the BR was "practicing" or did the RSL not lay and the BR has her first egg? Does any one have experience with 1st laying behaviors? BTY, RSL have had RED combs and BIG wattles for about 2 weeks and this BR just all of sudden got REALLY red yesterday, no big wattles. TIA.

Very often pulletts will "practice" in the nest, especially if they have seen another hen just get off. Even older hens will sometimes hop on an egg that they find and sit on it for a while. I have one old hen that takes it upon herself to inspect every egg that her fellow hens lay.

Back
Top Bottom