Do I buy an all inclusive brooder or?

So I ended getting a dog play pen + water and feeder a huge hot plate the shavings and a tarp to set up in my garage, we are still going to be seeing nights under 20F so the coop is probably not my best option for raising chickens for the first time.

The brooder is expensive but I kinda spend more on the set up for the garage, considering I have nothing; no fedders, no water dish, or a tub big enough for 20 chicks + chick starter

My worry with the brooder was that it wouldn’t fit all the chickens so garage it’s also the garage has a pellet stove in case of a late snow.

If you can run electricity to the coop for a heat plate/heating pad, that's what I'd do - cheaper than buying/building a brooder, and no need to acclimate the chicks to a new home outside. Especially if you're thinking around 20 chicks, they'll need a lot of space to expand as they grow faster than people expect.

That brooder cage is $325!! :eek:
I ended getting a ga

My first brooders, an rubbermaid container nearly big enough to put a body in, and my 80 lb dogs kennel. The first I used until supplemental heat wasn't needed, then the first flock went into the coop about 7 weeks. Pictured is a heat lamp and it worked fine, I actually have a sticker thermometer I used on 6 gallon jugs that I put on the inside. The second batch of chicks was not as many and I put the modified dog kennel right under the hen house at the end of May in Florida and just kept an eye on night temps. My husband has accepted this will be a regular thing so now building a 3 x 12 3 foot tall addition along the front side for brooding, which can be divided into 3 for medical/timeout needs. The second picture is just because they were so adorable.
Yeah garage is going to be, our last freeze could be by the end of April and we are in the mountains so nights under 20F are possible

So I ended getting a dog play pen + water and feeder a huge hot plate the shavings and a tarp to set up in my garage, we are still going to be seeing nights under 20F so the coop is probably not my best option for raising chickens for the first time.

The brooder is expensive but I kinda spend more on the set up for the garage, considering I have nothing; no fedders, no water dish, or a tub big enough for 20 chicks + chick starter
SInce you already bought it dunno if it's too late to return it, but if you want to save a few bucks one option for a very large brooding box is a cardboard melon bin or appliance box, and many folks have said they've gotten them for free since they're difficult for stores to get rid of.

My worry with the brooder was that it wouldn’t fit all the chickens so garage it’s also the garage has a pellet stove in case of a late snow.

I ended getting a ga
I want to mention to put down cardboard or a tarp for the flooring, before putting the shavings in, if the pen is going on concrete. Since, I had mine in our she-shed, it had concrete and luckily I read about how concrete retains moisture before I set everything up.
- We used what was meant to be a shade canopy for the top of the doggy play pen for a bottom flooring but if have a old tarp around the garage that would work too…

So excited for you! 😜🐣

SInce you already bought it dunno if it's too late to return it, but if you want to save a few bucks one option for a very large brooding box is a cardboard melon bin or appliance box, and many folks have said they've gotten them for free since they're difficult for stores to get rid of.
This is true and I’ve seen some wonderful brooders done with these! I’ve found that these boxes are becoming impossible to find in my area tho unfortunately, makes we wonder ifs that’s something happening in other places too? — I just wanted to mention that we went with doggie play pen and it’s definitely a buy that will pay its money back and then some. I’ve used 2 times for brooding as well as a couple of times for minor injuries for when my Roo needed a day to himself. It can be disassembled when not needed as well.

I ended getting a ga
It sounds like you have a good plan! Congrats and have fun!

Soon to bee chicken owner here, So I have been thinking on what to get for a brooder, Do I get a fancy all included brooder? or do I buy bits and bobs by themselves? I'm worried that a hot plate+ wall+ feeder+ water is going to be as much as the fancy all inclusive brooder, but I have to accommodate around 20 chicks.

Any recommendations of set up? our garage, workshop is not insulated but has electricity and chicks would be here in april with temp averaging 57F - 27F at night
Get a dog crate and wrap it in hardware cloth. That way worked best for me. I also have the heating pad you are looking at. Actually I have the largest one too. I could post comparison pics If you would like😉

Back
Top Bottom