Do I have 2 RIR roos? + What breed/sex are my 2 rescue chickens?

emilyloesel

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 1, 2014
Acworth, Georgia
I got my first batch of chicks 18 weeks ago. A couple weeks ago a black bear tore through 2 layers of chicken wire and took what I believe to be the only hen I had. I was left with 2 full grown Rhode Island Red bantams. I believe they're both roosters. Their combs are not maxed out like you see in photos (see my user image), but they both have full, green-black tail feathers. They aren't crowing at all, and are very docile and sweet. Thoughts?

Also, a friend of mine who does dog rescue happened upon a few chickens running around in Atlanta traffic. Unequipped to care for them, she reached out to me. Of course, I took them in (ironically, we met up at a Chick-fil-a). They're both white and larger than my RIRs. One is stark white with black markings on his neck, tail, and wing tips (first photo). Due to his occasional puffed neck- I'm sure he's a rooster. The other is more of a solid cream color (closest in 2nd photo). I'm curious as to what breed they are. They don't appear to be the same breed.

Please tell me- do I have one single hen here!?!

Last edited:
The 2 white chickens look like mixed breeds. The one closest to the camera in the second photo is a rooster. The other might be a hen. Do you have any photos of the RIRs?

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking the cream colored (closest) one in the last pic is a hen because she's really docile and shy. Seems to let the RIRs push her around a little.

It looks like that one has curved tail feathers and pointy saddle feathers, which would indicate male. I can't be certain of that from the photo though. It's tricky to capture that sort of detail on a white/ cream bird though. Take a look at the feathers on the back above the tail. If they are thin and pointy, it's a male. If they are rounded, it's female.

The one closest to the front in the last photo looks like a rooster to me.

Last edited:
The cream one is a rooster too.. The last photo is a lot better. It looks like he has extra toes? Between that and the beard, I would guess he is possibly a faverolles mix.

Back
Top Bottom