Do I have a micro duckling?

EdgewaterDucks

Chirping
Jan 28, 2019
Illinois, USA
Hi Everyone!

Hope all is well among my fellow Ducksters.

I’m so excited that my very first attempt at hatching Welsh Harlequin ducklings was a success. All four eggs that I put into the incubator resulted in ducklings!

But…the last one out appears to have some problems. She hatched out 4 days after its due date (I was about to throw the egg out as a dud). She has one of those curled-in feet I’ve read about.

And I think she’s what’s called a micro-duck. As you can see from the picture below, she is WAY smaller than her siblings. She’s five days old but her feathers aren’t even fully fluffy yet (her siblings are 9 days old). She’s eating and drinking, but hardly growing at all.

I’ve looked at other threads about micro-ducks, but I’m wondering if there’s any new advice anyone would like to impart. Add probiotics to the feed? Make funeral arrangements? Just give more time?

Thanks one and all!

IMG956212.jpg

Give her/him food/water personally 2-3 times daily the next couple of days. She might not be able to compete with older stronger ones. Often our runts turned out to be taller/stronger them some bigger/fatter ones in the end. By just helping them a bit the first few days. Put them on your lap/breast, make a watery mash with some extra protein (egg-yolk/mealworms) grind it really fine, and gently push it a bit into their beaks (with your washed finger) when they are comfortable with sitting with you. They might be a bit unwillengly at first, but once they get a taste of what you are feeding them, they eat more of it, and get some food in their belly, they quickly gain some strenght and are aible to compete with the others. And can florish in strong ducks.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone!

I’m so excited that my very first attempt at hatching Welsh Harlequin ducklings was a success. All four eggs that I put into the incubator resulted in ducklings!

But…the last one out appears to have some problems. She hatched out 4 days after its due date (I was about to throw the egg out as a dud). She has one of those curled-in feet I’ve read about.

And I think she’s what’s called a micro-duck. As you can see from the picture below, she is WAY smaller than her siblings. She’s five days old but her feathers aren’t even fully fluffy yet (her siblings are 9 days old). She’s eating and drinking, but hardly growing at all.

I’ve looked at other threads about micro-ducks, but I’m wondering if there’s any new advice anyone would like to impart. Add probiotics to the feed? Make funeral arrangements? Just give more time?

Thanks one and all!

View attachment 1749167

Just recently I had a duckling come out just a day later then yours, she was absolutely adorable and tiny. She did have trouble walking at first, but mine did manage to learn however, she did develope a heart and breathing issue (sadly) so just listen for signs of difficulty breathing like clicking, and feel for any pronounced thumping. Mine developed it in not even two days of life. Unfortunately for mine it didnt go well. Best of luck to yours though.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks one and all!

View attachment 1749167
@WVduckchick

It looks to me like you have two different breeds of ducks. I wonder if the little one is a Call duck.

Back
Top Bottom