Maddy10122

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2017
First time having chickens and ducks. They are coming up on 3mo. 3 ducks and 4 chickens, and after stumbling across this website I have come to realize one of my ducks is a male (which is not a big deal because he's pretty quiet) but I am fearing one of my chicks could be as well. I live in the city so that would be an issue obviously. The white, and black & white chickens were supposed to be amuracanas but I'm starting to doubt that too. Does anyone have an idea what breed they could be? And if the b&w chick could possibly be a roo? I read sometimes the shape of the tail feathers can help determine so I've added some photos. There has been no crowing in the mornings yet but she definitely is the most dominant of them all. Any thoughts???
Thanks in advance
-Maddy

IMG_4415.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG

If the hackle feathers (feathers on the back of the kneck) and saddle feathers (feathers by the tail) are pointed its a rooster. If the feathers are more rounded its a hen. That's the general rule of thumb for most breeds. From what i see in the pictures of the feathers on the black and white chicken it seems like it may be a rooster.

They're beautiful birds, but I don't see any Ameraucanas :/
I agree that black and white one could very well be a cockerel.

Did you get them from an individual or a feed store?
I got them all together from the 4H at the fair we had in town. There were only a few breeds to chose from and it was mostly children in the organization helping out so I guess it was just luck of the draw

The white one has green legs, so she might be an Easter egger mix, maybe with a white Leghorn. The orange/brownish could be a new Hampshire red or a production red. The black and white one is a silver laced wyandotte cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom