Do I have a rooster?

texastodd

Hatching
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Lubbock, TX
I have three buff plymouth rocks that are 8 weeks old. They are my first chickens. I bought pullets, but I think one may be a rooster. It's tail feathers look different than the other two. No crowing and its comb is the same as the others. Can some pros give a verdict? Here are some pics:

The one in the middle:

Pic of the tail feathers. The one in the middle is the one in question:

I think they are all pullets. My eight buff orpingtons are a straight run and around the same age (they also look very much the same, with the yellow legs like your middle one) and it is pretty obvious via the comb who is what. I'm not going to say it is 100%, but four of them have protruding bright red combs (which none of yours have) and the others have underdeveloped, skin toned combs. I'd say the feathers arent as pertinent cause your birds arent exactly the same lineage or anything, and stuff varies.

Thank you for your help. Hopefully I'm just paranoid! You mentioned the color of the legs. Two of mine have yellow legs/beaks and one has white legs/beak. I've read that buff rocks have yellow legs and buff orpingtons have white legs, but I bought all of mine labeled as buff rocks. It doesn't make much difference, but it's interesting to ponder.

I think you are right, I was mistaken before.. I was just out at the run and the ones that were out in the open have white legs, sold to me as buff orps. Dunno about the ones I couldnt see but Im assuming they are all the same. And i want to confirm that you most likely have pullets, my roos of the same age would lead you to believe the same. Ill try and get a picture up of the difference later.

I think you have all pullets. Lucky You!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom