Do I have an orpington rooster on my hands?

Whitfield

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
My wife and I have had a strong suspicion that the favorite of our 4-chicken flock, Phyllis, is actually a Phil. We've been told to watch for a spur growing out of the back of each leg, but the only thing we see so far is a white circle in that spot, and that appears on all four birds. In any case, the differences between Phyllis and her sister June are:

- June is quiet like the other birds, Phyllis recently started making stereotypical chicken sounds (bok-bok-bok-boKAK! bok-bok-bok-boKAK!) for minutes at a time.

- Phyllis has a lot more "facial appendages" at this point, including a larger comb, as shown in the attached photo.

- Phyllis is slightly larger, and has always been the boldest of the four (from day one, she was always trying to escape her enclosures).

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ah, that would have been a good thing to include. :) They were all born around April 1st, so they are about 4.5 months old.

4.5 months? Definitely a Phyllis then. :)

Phyllis is getting ready to start laying, hence the big red comb and wattles. She'll likely start laying by the end of the month! :)

I'll be danged (edit), that's great! And also a bit surprising - just this morning my wife was reading that larger hens like orpingtons tend to start laying later. Then I guess we'll start watching (and listening) for our first home-made egg!

Last edited:
I'll be danged (edit), that's great! And also a bit surprising - just this morning my wife was reading that larger hens like orpingtons tend to start laying later. Then I guess we'll start watching (and listening) for our first home-made egg!

My Buff Orps generally start to lay at 19-22 weeks. If you haven't already, I'd get some nest boxes made and installed!

Awesome! And fortunately our coop has them built-in and ready to go. :) Thanks for your help, that's a huge load off our minds!

Agree that's a pullet. Some Orpington boys'll fool you, but a slow developing cockerel at this age would be leggy and unfinished looking, she's nicely rounded and feminine. A cockerel would also have darker buff shading on the wings, she's a nice even gold throughout. Agree she'll lay first, but it may not be for another month or so.

Back
Top Bottom