Do I have any pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beth1004, Mar 27, 2018.

1. beth1004

beth1004 Songster

Feb 11, 2018
    Duluth, GA
    These Silkies are approximately 6 months old. Can you tell from the pictures IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0115.JPG if I have any pullets and if so, how many? Any help would be appreciated? I'll try and post pics of each individually in the next day or so when I have help holding then to get clear shots.

2. kumquat

kumquat Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    PNW
    For sexing silkies, members will usually need at least 2 photos of each bird: 1) a profile shot that shows body carriage (how they stand), and 2) a front on shot of the face/comb with the crest pulled back so that the whole comb is visible. Numbering or naming the chickens helps too! Good luck! :)

3. ChicksLoveOregon

ChicksLoveOregon In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Central Oregon
    I am not super experienced but I think so. Especially if your profile pic is of your chicks.

The one in the 2nd pic on the right looks to be a roo. There is a good thread on here that talks specifically about sexing silkies. It has nice pics too.

No one is crowing yet?

For my silkies the way they stand is pretty reliable. The boys are much more upright and looking around. Looking around higher not just at the ground.

There are also overall differences in the shape of their feathering that you could probably see by now.

Pictures of their whole body from the side view could be helpful.

They are super adorable though. :)

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  4. ChicksLoveOregon

Mar 19, 2018
    Central Oregon
  5. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    @kumquat posted good advice! I'll take a shot at it, though, and guess their genders. :D
    Okay, (in the first picture) I'm guessing the one on the left to be a pullet, the one on the right to be a cockerel, and the one in the back to be a pullet...(but maybe a cockerel, as well). The one on the right I noticed has a slight different more 'pronounced' tail than the other two (the other two seem to just have a round pom-pom for a tail back there, ha ha! :lol:).
    They're so beautiful and fluffy, though! :drool :eek: :love

6. beth1004

beth1004 Songster

Feb 11, 2018
    Duluth, GA
    I definitely have 2 crowing. Just hope all 4 aren't roosters.
    2 are crowing. No one is laying eggs though.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well then you only need two of them sexed

8. ChicksLoveOregon

Mar 19, 2018
    Central Oregon
    What is their day like? Where are the places they go? When I first got silkies I let them hang out in my garden during the day. I thought they weren't laying until the fateful day I was picking tomatoes and found 37 eggs in amongst the tomato plants.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Look like all males to me.

sourland likes this.
  10. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They all look like cockerels to me as well.

sourland likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: