do i have enough room

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
I have a run that is 75 sq feet and a coop that is 35 sq feet. here is a list of all my chickens
1 buff hen
1 rir hen
1 mixed breed standard hen
1 laced wyandotte
1 cuckoo maran
1 silkie bantam
1 tophat bantam
and 1 mixed cochin tophat partridge bantam
is there a certain breed of rooster that would get along with these hens. do i have enough space to add a rooster currently none of the hens fight except for the occasional peck over bread or scratch feed.

You have enough room to add a rooster to your flock. As far as choosing a roo, you need to decide what you are looking for in offspring. With such a variety of birds you are going to have mostly mutts, but some of the most beautiful birds IMO are mutts, so it really is up to you to decide what you want.

Good luck.

well my auracana is a beautiful hen and i would love to find an auracana rooster to go along with her. she is all white except for 3 quarter size spots on her body that is golden with a silver outline. she has the tufts on her ears. are auracana roosters usually docile? i would really like to have one that i wouldnt be scared to go in the coop with. ALthough i would want him to be protective. do you think that would b a good choice

Roosters are all individuals. You never know what you'll end up with until you get one.

I have a RIR cockerel, who are reputed to be the worst of all roosters as far as aggression goes. My cockerel is still with us and although he's a bit of a jerk, he is responding to re-education. He continues to respond favorably to my efforts and he has a forever (or until he gets taken out by a predator) home. He starts living up to the terrible reputation that RIR roos have and he will end up in the pot. If he goes in the pot then he will be replaced with an EE or Araucana.

Well i have a stupid question since i am new to this if say a buff hen had an egg and the father was a auracana will the egg be blue or it will b normal? I have an auracana that lays a blue egg and i have always wondered what would happen if a male auracana had a chick with a rhode island red or buff. Will the chick lay blue eggs even though it is a mix? thank you for all your help

the color of the egg will not chance when you change roos. However his daughters will lay colored eggs, If he came from a blue or green egg. EEs can lay a pinkish tan egg so if he came from that color egg that is what he would pass along
smile.png

ok thank you but if a rhode island red had an egg and the father was a ee would the egg the mother rir layed be blue or green or will it be a normal brown?

It will be normal brown. Any female chick hatched from that normal brown egg has the potential to lay colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom