1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do i have to clean eggs before eating them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnimalLover99, May 5, 2012.

1. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    ?

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    You don't have to clean the shell of an egg before using it, unless it has visible dirt or feces on it. Actually, if the egg appears clean, it is best NOT to wash it because you will be washing off a natural coating (the "bloom") that covers and protects the egg. This bloom keeps the egg fresh. If the shell was dirty and you washed it, it is best to use the egg within a day or two.

3. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    thanks

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I only wash my duck eggs and thats because my ducks bury them so they look pretty nasty if they don't bury them in the nest crate. My chicken eggs... I just crack and cook.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's your choice. Some people wash some don't. Washing off the bloom only matters if you are storing the eggs for weeks at room temperature or months in the fridge. Eggs last a long time either way.
    Either way you need to handle them using safe food handling practices.

Imp

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    X2 - I wash and refrigerate every egg - the only choice I'm comfortable with. However, it IS a personal choice. Some people will argue the opposite of what I o. So do what feels right for you.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by