Do I have to cull him?

JustClucky

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
TX
Or her. Don't know yet. I posted about my 4 week old GLW going cannibal on one of my 6 week old EE's. He/she tore out her back feathers and then started going for meat. Her back is a mess and I can tell that she's in some pain. I've cleaned it, sprayed Blue Kote on it but the other chicks are still trying to help her clean her back off. They're not pecking to eat, I don't think. She has some torn off feather quills sticking out and they're trying to take those off in the same way they pick off wood shavings while they're dust-bathing... Anyway... She'll be fine...

My question is, do I have to cull the culprit? I don't trust him to go back with the others but I'm not sure what the protocol is for this kind of behavior. Please help!

if it was me i would either find he/her a new home or grow it out and send it to freezer camp but that's just my 2 cents

If you are sure they are getting enough protein and aren't feeling overcrowded, then I would cull, one way or another.

It's possible that they're a little cramped. They need to be out in the coop/run during the day but we hit a snag. If they have more room, could he be saved? He's shown NO signs of aggression so far. He's always been the sweetest of the group. The one he attacked is the one that let him sleep under her wing when he was younger so they've always been kind to each other...

I thought it would be worth adding that this happened a couple of days after changing their bedding to sand. Is it possible that he filled up on sand and stopped eating his feed? I switched back to pine and he's eating his feed. He's isolated right now, btw.

Quote:
LOL That's certainly true! I don't want to cull him but if it's for the best.... Ugh. I can't keep him either way.

I just bet they need more room in their brooder or pen. Mine are only 12 days old and they get very rambunctious and have starting pecking at each other. Do you have time to put him back in and watch hime closely for awhile? They're just now starting their pecking order, so he needs to get back in there, but watch out for the injured one.

If I found him another home, I wouldn't want for it to happen to that person's chickens, too. I'm thinking his new home might just be 3 feet in the ground. I don't know...

I put him back in with the others, even the injured one. And I have to add that I'm not even 100% sure that it's him, BUT, they all acted fine together. I put in fresh bedding since it needed changed anyhow and fresh bedding always equals happy dust bath time. The suspect was just standing over the dust-bather (the injured one) just happily picking shavings off her back but not going any further than that. Everyone seemed normal.

A friend asked me a question... Is it possible that she did it to herself? I can't imagine but I've heard of stranger things in the animal kingdom... Any opinions there?

Back
Top Bottom