Do I HAVE to have something to measure humidity for my incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oliviad51, Oct 18, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    The title pretty much says it all. I found a clutch of guinea eggs outside a few months ago and hatched 1 out of 12 guineas. It could have been because they have been sitting outside too long.

I have an egg turner in a "still air" styrofoam incubator. I also have a thermometer (of course)..

I really really need more guineas. I only have 4 plus one teenager. We had 25 before we had a visitor a few nights in a row from a coon (we caught him now!)
    I am thinking about ordering more guinea eggs online if I find a good price.. (before they stop laying..mine already have) but I wanted to know that question before I do. If I DO need something to measure humidity, what should I get? [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    After trying a couple different options, I bought a hygrometre for reptiles at a pet store. It is digital and it works great. I think it cost me around $20...worth the investment.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    spring field at walmart works good for several hatches, then the moisture gets inside it and it goes crazy. bout 6.00 bucks

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    What is spring field? [​IMG]

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    mine is from a pet shop also for reptiles, about $6 works great.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    No you don't HAVE to have something. The risk there being if you're adding water to the 'bator and it gets too humid though. I don't have a hygrometer in my 'bator but I run mostly dry hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by