Do I have to wait till spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by water2214, Nov 6, 2011.

1. water2214

water2214 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    I have 2 RIR's that are about 7 and a half months old. Their faces are quite red, both of them look as red as other pictures i've seen of laying RIR's. Will they lay soon? Or do i have to wait until spring? Thanks everybody for your help.

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I don't think you should have to wait for spring but they may be a bit slow starting out and I guess with winter, production isn't that hot anyways

3. water2214

Oct 2, 2011
    I don't have any suplimental lighting, but I still thought that they would start soon, seeing how they usually lay in winter. I will try the squat test, maybe they're late bloomers... [​IMG]

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I didn't add light myself, and today out of 11 girls, I got 9 eggs...I am not complaining ! I also have 3 EE pullets, about 22 weeks old...no eggs yet, I am in the same boat as you....

5. water2214

Oct 2, 2011
    yeah, but i'm a little grumpy at them.... eh, as long as it's within a month, i'm happy.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They will lay soon--just slow getting started--not for them but for you. I seriously doubt the time of year has anything to do with it.

7. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I have heard a good dose of red pepper would get them started...... don't know......Mine like the pepper every once in awhile or they seem to be a little extra excited with their oatmeal in the morning. Yeah they are VERY spoiled girls. [​IMG]

8. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I think you won't have to wait for Spring. You probably won't get them as often as you will come spring. With less sun light and the cool, it will probably just be a slow start, and a slow winter laying season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by