Do I have to wait till spring?

water2214

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 2, 2011
I have 2 RIR's that are about 7 and a half months old. Their faces are quite red, both of them look as red as other pictures i've seen of laying RIR's. Will they lay soon? Or do i have to wait until spring? Thanks everybody for your help.

I don't have any suplimental lighting, but I still thought that they would start soon, seeing how they usually lay in winter. I will try the squat test, maybe they're late bloomers...
idunno.gif

Quote:
I didn't add light myself, and today out of 11 girls, I got 9 eggs...I am not complaining ! I also have 3 EE pullets, about 22 weeks old...no eggs yet, I am in the same boat as you....

yeah, but i'm a little grumpy at them.... eh, as long as it's within a month, i'm happy.

They will lay soon--just slow getting started--not for them but for you. I seriously doubt the time of year has anything to do with it.

I have heard a good dose of red pepper would get them started...... don't know......Mine like the pepper every once in awhile or they seem to be a little extra excited with their oatmeal in the morning. Yeah they are VERY spoiled girls.
roll.png

I think you won't have to wait for Spring. You probably won't get them as often as you will come spring. With less sun light and the cool, it will probably just be a slow start, and a slow winter laying season.

Back
Top Bottom