Do I help out or not?

pria

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Hi

I have a decision to make and need some help making my mind up, so any input would be appreciated.

I have an egg in the incy. From early this morning the chick has been cheeping from inside the egg and rocking fairly. During the evening the cheeps are getting a lot fainter and theres very little movement. It hasnt pipped at all and its now the end of day 21 and I really dont know whether to help.

Ive had this once before and didnt help and when I finally did open the shell the chick was dead.

Any advice would be appreciated.

IMO, I would peck a hole in the big end where you hear the chirping, just to let the air in and the ick air out. then see how it is. I had a problem with the goose eggs that the shell was way too hard for the gosling to chip it to get out. I chipped the shell to give it an airway and then watched it and decided from there. if you can hear cheeping, it has penetrated the air sack and needs outside air. This is my opinion so take it for what it is worth.
roll.png

Thanks for your replies.

Ok I had two hatch yesterday, but this egg was put in a day later, so its on its own. It was due to hatch this morning (obviously doesnt have its watch on).

It hasnt pipped at all.

According to my hygrometer the humidity is ok, but Ive had problems before with this incy. Its a forced air one, but seems to be a bit too strong a force and once they do pip they dry out very very quickly and dont tend to fluff up.

I caved at about 4am and helped.

I made a small hole where I had candled and thought was the beak and it was very dry in there. The chick had made no headway at all after breaking into the air sac, but really looked ready to come out. So I chizzled round the top of the egg and sprayed the membrane, then put a wet sponge in and leant the egg up against it and that seemed to keep it moist, without it getting chilled.

I went back to bed and when I got up a few hours later, I had a little one propelling itself round the incy at full steam.

As I said before my incy is a forced air one and I think part of the problem is the air is a little too forced and even though my hygrometer says the humidity is fine, Ive had a lot of hatch problems associated with humidity. So with this one, once Id opened the egg, I put my plastic microwave stand, covered with a piece of kitchen towel over the egg and it really seemed to help it not dry out. The chick is fairly fluffy too, whereas other chicks have never really fluffed up.

Should also mention that this chick is bigger than the two hatched the day before and is already eating and drinking.

So all in all, today is a very good day, with three healthy Cochin chicks.

Twigg - Thanks for the tip. I had already looked at that sticky and while I do appreciate that nature knows best, after working for the RSPCA and the NAWT for many many years, I know that a lot of wonderful animals would not be alive now had I not interferred with nature.

I realize the problem may be more with the incubator than the chick, but I'd be hesitant to add this one to my breeding stock. You want offspring from the chicks that can make it out on their own.

Just my opinion. I don't know your goals for raising the chicks and it is purely up to you.

Thanks Indiana hens xx

Ridgerunner my goal is to have healthy, happy chickens running around my farm. No more, no less. Heres a pic of two cockerels, one of which I had to help hatch last year and a picture of my beautiful hen (sadly was killed last year in a freak accident) who I also helped. Both were stunning, healthy birds.

phone015.jpg

Image127-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom