Do I need a back-up plan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McGoo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm planning to use the 'natural' method of egg hatching - a broody hen. I've never done this before and neither has she.... So it'll be a really interesting experience.

So I'm going to coordinate the 6 - 8 eggs with one of my gals and I've been reading and thinking about all the things which can go wrong... You know - the hen changes her mind and doesn't want to sit on them ... or whatever. So now I'm wondering if I need a back-up plan.

These eggs will be pretty special (Barred Hollands and Marans) and I really don't want to lose any that might be viable, so what is the least expensive way to set-up a back-up bator and/or brooder?

ps. I'm also looking for the best book on the topic...any suggestions?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are valuable eggs... best have a back up plan with an unproven broody. Plus, it will be hard to truly coordinate fertile eggs with a broody unless the flock you are getting them from is really near and you can get them soon after she decides to set.

For book, I am not sure... but I'm sure people here have lots to share!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not all hens will go broody. Trying to predict when one will go broody is near to impossible. I understand wanting to hatch the eggs in the most natural way but the only back up plan I know of is an incubator. You can build one or you can buy one -maybe even borrow one.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by