Do I need a house?

Centralflafred

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Plant City, Fla.
I live in central Fla. where the temps seldom get very cool. I keep my girls now in a 10X10 pen with tarps on top and three sides. They have a roost inside under cover and get plenty of sun when they want it. I was just wondering if I need a wooden hen house?

Thanks,

If it aint broke....dont fix it
smile.png

If your set up works for you and the chickens then you have no worries.

My DS's pheasants live in something like you describe and they are very happy.

Quote:
You're fine with that. Alot of hot climate people only have open pen style coops with a roof and three walls to shelter from wind and rain.

We use the tarp method too and since it is one 3 sides and the top, the ground underneath stays perfectly dry. They have a doggie kennel that they could go in if they wanted to, but I have never seen them use it...lol.

Is the open side facing away from the wind?

My plan has been to build a sturdy pen with a roof, and then to enclose 3 sides of one end for a shelter (with roosts). Temps rarely dip below 30 (2x/year max). Do I need to consider a 4th wall in winter?

And as far as hurricanes are concerned... if it's that bad, a coop likely isn't going to make it. The OP might lose her tarps, but the pen fences will survive because they're not catching the wind. A coop would need to be overbuilt to resist the wind forces, and then may not even survive flooding or trees falling on. My hurricane plan involves a dog crate in the garage during the worst, to be moved up on to the porch if it starts flooding.

Centralflafred wrote:
I keep my girls now in a 10X10 pen with tarps on top and three sides.

I'm assumng youve never been in a hurricane?

I'd build a small solid shelter for storms​

Just a thought but what about preditors? Your pen may very well be preditor proof or preditors may not be a problem where you are but I like having my girls on lockdown every night.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom