Do i need a run with this set up?

EDIT: A RUN. CRUD.
I want to convert an 8x10 shed to house 4-5 chickens max. It's got a double door and window, and what I plan on doing is creating a "pen" portion and a "clean room" for storing feed shavings etc and accessibility, by partioning it into 2 8x5 portions.
The only issue is that the double doors would both be in the non-chicken foyer/ clean room,and the height and location of the window is such that a run wouldn't be ideal off it.
I plan on making the partition out of hardware cloth and a screen door so weather permitting the double door could be left open for sunlight and fresh air during the day.
We have a lot of weasels and hwwks and I don't feel great trying to free range but a run isn't very doable without cutting a big hole somewhere since the doors and window both open directly onto the side of the driveway.

I don't think I would ever consider 4 or 5 chickens in that small of an area long term without a run. But here is a great alternative for you. Build a chicken tractor. Just use 2X4's and build a 4'X8' frame about 2 or 3' high. Leave no bottom in it. Put the chickens out in the yard in the chicken tractor each day. The next day, move the tractor and put them back out. You will get great fertilizer in your yard, save feed and exercise your hens. You won't have to mow quite as often ether. Make sure they have water and feed in with them. Put a blanket or piece of tin over one end for shade. Then put them in the coop at night. It wouldn't be bad just moving 4 or 5 hens. Get a cat carrier and you can move them 2 at a time to the chicken tractor.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-tractors-versus-permanent-coops-the-pros-and-cons

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom