Do I need a wire apron to keep out critters?

more_old_dogs

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
Or will moving a bunch of these pavers pictured below to the sides suffice to keep out critters? We have coyotes, foxes and raccoons. How do I bury the apron if i need it? I have clay soil. Thanks!
13DAC0BA-D370-47F9-BC32-5EB16DC33A50.jpeg

Or will moving a bunch of these pavers pictured below to the sides suffice to keep out critters? We have coyotes, foxes and raccoons. How do I bury the apron if i need it? I have clay soil. Thanks!View attachment 2062684
To shield precious pets from these tunneling rodents, bury a secure wire mesh basket two to three feet underground. You need a fence that provides an underground barrier and is difficult to climb. Do use a 60 "to 72" barrier. Bury a 24 "horizontal apron a few inches underground outside your backyard.

The more you do the predator proof it will be.
It's all about figuring risk.

I've done several runs with just a 2x4 welded wire apron that was 12-18" and just under the surface. That will deter most typical digging predators.
Mine now since there is so much rock I don't even have an apron. I buried flat stones under gates. Fence for the run some sticks down in the dirt but most places you dig 6" and hit rock. No digging under the rock I'm sitting on so I focused more on above ground entry.

Don't need to bury it. Attach some of the wire to your existing run walls/wood frame, then bend the rest out in an L shape to sit on the surface of the ground. Use landscape staples to secure it in place.
Yes, this^^^

Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

I looked again and it turns out there is wire mesh on the whole run floor underneath the dirt instead. I guess the previous owners of this coop were savvy.
Eh...or not. Wire on bottom of run can damage feet and inhibit scratching.
It will keep the baddies out, tho you may have them tunneling and living under the mesh.

On a permanent enclosure I would bury the apron. On a tractor I would just lay it on top of the ground. Easier to mow around the coop with it in the ground.

My tractor has a wire floor and hasn't hindered the birds. Just have to watch and replace the wire when it eventually rusts away.

Back
Top Bottom