Do I need more ducks?

10AcreMom

Hatching
Aug 18, 2022
Hi! I thought I got two female ducks but it turns out, one is a male. The male is a Pekin and the female a Khaki Campbell. The pekin is significantly larger than the khaki.

My question is, is it still safe for them to be together? I don’t want her hurt once he gets the urge to start mating. So do I need more hens? I may need to rehome them both if so.

Thanks!

Attachments

• E0B78F1C-DCA1-4F37-9A4D-54FD4F9596DA.jpeg
    E0B78F1C-DCA1-4F37-9A4D-54FD4F9596DA.jpeg
    749.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks. That’s what I thought. I just don’t think that’s an option right now. I planned and built the run and duck house for two!
I'm sure you're attached and it would be difficult, but you could rehome the male and purchase an adult female. Or, if you don't care about eggs, you could rehome the female and pick up another Drake.

pairs work perfectly fine!! i have a girl/boy pair and i've never had a problem with them and they are almost 3 years old. i also have a pair of two drakes, they are almost 4 and also get along perfectly!

the hardest part for me is keeping the entire yard divided in half so the two groups can't mix, you only have the two ducks so that wont be an issue for you

pairs work perfectly fine!! i have a girl/boy pair and i've never had a problem with them and they are almost 3 years old. i also have a pair of two drakes, they are almost 4 and also get along perfectly!

the hardest part for me is keeping the entire yard divided in half so the two groups can't mix, you only have the two ducks so that wont be an issue for you
Really?! That’s encouraging! I’ve only ever heard that we need to add hens!!

Really?! That’s encouraging! I’ve only ever heard that we need to add hens!!
everyone i know who has a male/female pair has never had a problem and neither have i :) unless your drake is a pekin, i've noticed pekin drakes tend to be more aggressive with hens than other breeds

I would wait it out if I were you and see what happens. You won't know for sure until mating season comes around and just keep an eye on them. All ducks are different. My Khaki Campbell Drake was one that I had to rehome because he over mated everything in my pen. I have his sister who is quiet as can be and got another hen that is the loudest thing in the neighborhood. No two ducks are the same and that way you would know for sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom