Do I need to help this egg hatch out?

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
I have an egg that I thought would come out last night since it looked like it started zipping, but it only zipped about a quarter way. It has been 12 hours+ and it hasn't changed much since then. What should I do? Should I leave it and hope it comes out or do I need to assist it? I never assisted an egg hatch before.

20230816_152143.jpg

I would advise you to not interfere with nature under any circumstances. I spent a lot of time caring for sickly birds in the past that all ultimately ended up dying at young ages

It's a waste of time and an unnecessary cause of suffering

It is possible the chick will need your assistance to escape its shell. I have assisted chicks that were perfectly healthy except for being shrink-wrapped or pipped at the wrong end of the shell. Some have assisted chicks that were too weak or malformed to survive, and say they will never assist again. The choice as to whether to assist or not is entirely your decision. If you decide to assist, please read the article below before proceeding. The info contained within the article is vital to know so you understand how to help rather than potentially harm the unhatched chick.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I have an egg that I thought would come out last night since it looked like it started zipping, but it only zipped about a quarter way. It has been 12 hours+ and it hasn't changed much since then. What should I do? Should I leave it and hope it comes out or do I need to assist it? I never assisted an egg hatch before.

View attachment 3610967
Follow your gut. Just be sure to keep an eye on those blood vessels. If all the vessels have receded, it'll be safe to assist in removing the top of the shell. Just leave the bottom for the baby to kick out itself.

If there are blood vessels, I woul proceed with much caution as a little nick in the wrong place can cause the baby to bleed out

Everyone's so anxious to "assist" ... It may take as long as a day for a chick to completely hatch. From the look of yours, I'd leave it but get some coconut oil on a Qtip and "moisten" the membrane. IF you do decide to remove the top shell, moisten the membrane, go slow and watch for the blood vessels, do not attempt to separate the chick if still attached to the yolk.

Back
Top Bottom