Do I need to make a bigger duck house??

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
I just had to add 2 ducks to my flock of 4 cause I ended up having 2 drakes. So now I have a total of six ducks. Appleyards/Cayugas/ Welsh. Right now my duck house that they get locked up in at night is 5x4. Is that enough room or should I add on?

Yes, you should probably make it larger. The minimum would be 4 square feet per duck, although I would go with 5, which would mean the shelter should be 30 square feet or 5x6.

My answer is no......
I have six Ducks and they are locked in an extra large Dog house each night...It still has lots of room for them to move around.
I feed and refresh the water an hour before dark so their crops are full and they do fine till morning.
Your coop is big enough as long as they get out each morning.

Well, I guess they'd survive. Some people squish ducks into spaces with 3 square feet per duck, but I don't believe in minimums when it comes to personal space.

I'm sorry if that came across as rude! I believe you, if you say your ducks are happy. I just like going with as much space as possible. I have three Muscovy drakes, so I guess that makes it more important. Especially as they're a larger breed.

Oh my ducks are spoiled...here is there house. I take very good care of the, just was unsure of how big it should be vs overkill. I did score today and a friend of ours mom has a very nice chicken coop 4.5x6 that we got for free! So I will attach it to the back. Can't wait to get it! Thanks for your input everyone!

Last edited:
My answer is no......
I have six Ducks and they are locked in an extra large Dog house each night...It still has lots of room for them to move around.
I feed and refresh the water an hour before dark so their crops are full and they do fine till morning.
Your coop is big enough as long as they get out each morning.

I was talking about the house..the coop is is much larger and they even get out and free range.

Back
Top Bottom