Do I need to make a bigger duck house??

I have four Anconas. They have a house that is 5x8 and an attached pen that is 12x12. They get out to free range the yard and creek everyday and seem quite content in their enclosure.

The run is larger then it looks. It is a T shape and is plenty big for the 6 ducks. The house I have right now is only 3sq per duck..hence the reason I got this new one that is 4.5x6. 

I am trying to work out if my house is big enough, think they have just over 3.5 square foot per duck in the house and they look swamped by it.

Only got them last night so still learning

Quote:
Oh gotcha! Some one said Storey's guide to raising ducks says 2-6 sq feet per duck. Right now mine are in 3.33 sq feet per duck. I have large breed ducks. I started out with 4 but had to add 2 more ducks cause 2 out of the 4 were boys. the house was fine for 4, but for 6 seems a little tight. What kid of ducks did you get? age? Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gotcha! Some one said Storey's guide to raising ducks says  2-6 sq feet per duck. Right now mine are in 3.33 sq feet per duck. I have large breed ducks. I started out with 4 but had to add 2 more ducks cause 2 out of the 4 were boys. the house was fine for 4, but for 6 seems a little tight. What kid of ducks did you get? age?

Mine are cross breeds (one is quite big and has a lot of runner in her) and about 3 months old.
So far they spend all other there time in there huddled together.

I was talking about the house..the coop is is much larger and they even get out and free range.
The coop is what they sleep in and the run is the pen.
I have a 10x10 dog run for the times they need to be locked inside. They sleep in the extra large dog house only at night. Until I can kill the Fox? I have to lock them in the dog house at night to keep them safe.
I have six Ducks, two are Calls.
What ever you decide on will be fine. Your Ducks will be happy. Mine are Spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom