Do I Need To Move The Heat Lamp Too

If you need to convince your parents about no heat lamp further, tell them this story. I had a red bulb heat lamp hanging because I was overly cautious about the cold and my chickens. Went out to put the chickens up one night and there was smoke pouring out of the chicken house! Opened the human door and discovered that the lamp had fallen, flash-burned all the straw on the floor of the coop, and the plywood floor was starting to smolder and catch on fire! And every single chicken was up on her roost like nothing was wrong! They would have all died had I not went out there when I did. I still have the burn mark on the plywood floor to remind me of what can happen when you use a heat lamp. Won't touch them now, only use heating pad caves.

My 9 chicks are 6 weeks old and fully integrated into the flock, no heat source. It's going to be 36 tomorrow night!

Th
If you need to convince your parents about no heat lamp further, tell them this story. I had a red bulb heat lamp hanging because I was overly cautious about the cold and my chickens. Went out to put the chickens up one night and there was smoke pouring out of the chicken house! Opened the human door and discovered that the lamp had fallen, flash-burned all the straw on the floor of the coop, and the plywood floor was starting to smolder and catch on fire! And every single chicken was up on her roost like nothing was wrong! They would have all died had I not went out there when I did. I still have the burn mark on the plywood floor to remind me of what can happen when you use a heat lamp. Won't touch them now, only use heating pad caves.

My 9 chicks are 6 weeks old and fully integrated into the flock, no heat source. It's going to be 36 tomorrow night! 

The same thing has happened to me.. It isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:
Quote: You can hang it up out there, but you don't have to turn it on
wink.png
Whole deal probably over and done with now...so @thisjed how'd it all work out?

So how'd it all work out?

I never did hang the lamp and everyone is doing great, including my mom. I told her my "chicken friends" say I'm good to go.

I checked on my chickens each night, they were always resting in a clump next to each other. They did the exact same in the brooder each night too. Every morning they were up and eating - enjoying their new space. I'm adding the run this weekend - guessing they'll love it! Sending five off to a friend's farm this weekend too - leaving me with 10 all together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom