Do I need to operate on this bumblefoot?

KrisFromClemson

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Clemson, SC
I am a newbie with a 13 day-old Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Late last night when I was checking on the chicks, I spotted a chick limping on it's knee and other foot. I saw dark debri. Thinking it was caked poo, I soaked and removed nuggets from both feet until both were clean. I knew nothing about bumblefoot, so I put her back with the rest in a pen lined with pee pee pads and paper towel. Today she is limping just as bad, so I looked it up and discovered bumblefoot. I bet the bark-covered stick I place in there was a bad idea. The problem is, I can't determine if there is anything else to remove. The little "poofy pouches" on her feet are so small, I can't tell if they are normal. I would hate to go digging around looking for puss if she didn't need it! I soaked her feet in epsom salts and squeezed the tiny pouches on her feet, but nothing came out. I applied triple-antibiotic to them and to her knee which is raw and slightly swollen from walking on it. Going to the vet is out of the question. I have leukemia and I'm not going anywhere with coronavirus hiding everywhere. So take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. I already gauzed and taped her knee.

Attachments

• bumblefoot1.jpg
    bumblefoot1.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 9
  • aaab.jpg
    aaab.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 8
Well, after soaking her feet and putting Clara in her own container in the brooder pen with a little heating pad and her own food for a couple of days, she looked less ill. I think the heating pad helped a lot since she was avoiding the other chicks under the brooding light. She was crying this morning to be with the others so I obliged. She is hopping on one leg which is better than her previous scooting. I think, she has instead a leg injury. It looks maybe like a displaced achilles tendon or some hock injury. So I picked her up and sure enough, her injured leg would not stretch straight like her other one. Her hock is larger than the other, too. I can't say I fixed a slipped tendon, but I stretched her stiff leg a little for a minute to more closely resemble her good one. I'll see if doing this everyday helps or hinders her. I also put the heating pad next to the brooder wall where she likes to lay.

Back
Top Bottom