Do I need to remove....

Mrseb3

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
We just purchased our first four chicks from a local feed store...and this one has a clump of dry poop stuck to its end....do I need to remove? If so, how?

We are new to this.

Attachments

• 910D7B84-E521-4883-8FB4-58BF13183BD7.jpeg
    910D7B84-E521-4883-8FB4-58BF13183BD7.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 11
HI there, don’t panic..many chicks get a pasty bottom due to the stress of moving etc..warm water to soak off as the stuff really sticks ..either soak for a few mins ...or warm running water but the noise can sometimes be a little distressing for chicks so do whatever works best for you and chick.then dry gently and keep an eye on bottom condition for the next few days in all of your lovely new Chickies ❤️

That clump is more than just a cosmetic flaw. It's potentially deadly in that it can clog the vent, causing poop to back up in the intestine. It's called pasty butt. You can gently rub some coconut oil into the crust and then take a tissue and remove the soil. The residue of oil left behind can help prevent future buildup, but keep an eye on it.

One of the causes of pasty butt is an overheated brooder. It's necessary to have adequate space away from the heat source so chicks can shed excess heat. Another less common cause of pasty butt is chilling. Again, a too small brooder and too many chicks can result in some being left out in the cold, so to speak.

HI there, don’t panic..many chicks get a pasty bottom due to the stress of moving etc..warm water to soak off as the stuff really sticks ..either soak for a few mins ...or warm running water but the noise can sometimes be a little distressing for chicks so do whatever works best for you and chick.then dry gently and keep an eye on bottom condition for the next few days in all of your lovely new Chickies ❤️

Thank you very much!

Using water to wash can chill the chicks (they're small and they don't have a lot of body heat to lose.) Unless you can wipe it off with a damp rag, I wouldn't use water at all. Instead, try smearing shortening or coconut oil on the poop to get it to loosen up a little and then just wait. Peel it off a bit later.

And Yep, you do have to remove it--it can block their poop holes, and it can catch any poop they produce later.

Geez...let’s scare every new chick keeper at their first hurdle!
Simply warm water ,or coconut oil as suggested, is enough to clear this and whilst pasty bottom as we politely call it in England as opposed to butt..is something to be cautious of and is totally home treatable .. clean and keep an eye on you chicks and enjoy them ❤️

I’m a huge advocate of positive encourage as opposed to scare mongering .

Geez...let’s scare every new chick keeper at their first hurdle!
Simply warm water ,or coconut oil as suggested, is enough to clear this and whilst pasty bottom as we politely call it in England as opposed to butt..is something to be cautious of and is totally home treatable .. clean and keep an eye on you chicks and enjoy them ❤️

I’m a huge advocate of positive encourage as opposed to scare mongering .
Scare?

Back
Top Bottom