Do I need to "worm" my chickens??

Messipaw

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Hi all
I have six hens that are about 14 months old. Everyone is happy and healthy. TTL.
I have seen no sign of worms or bugs or anything. Should I be worming them just in case. I use DE in their food and all over the coop and run so I know they are ingesting it. Is that enough.
Please pass along your knowledge and feedback.
Thank you.

DE does nothing against internal worms. It is a drying agent, helps control odor, and will help control the little bgs that hatch out and live in feed, while the feed is still outside the body. It may help control external parasites on the chickens but willl not treat an infestation.

Many people feel chickens should be wormed at least annually. Worms harm their intestinal tract, eat their feed, and set the groundwork for other illnesses. Some people never worm their chickens. Worms are ver common in most soils, more common if you are in an area where the soil is warm and most at least part of the time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-crd-parasites-are-rampant/0_20#post_7474233

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...peworm-or-any-worms-really/0_20#post_11670181

Hi all
I have six hens that are about 14 months old. Everyone is happy and healthy. TTL.
I have seen no sign of worms or bugs or anything. Should I be worming them just in case. I use DE in their food and all over the coop and run so I know they are ingesting it. Is that enough.
Please pass along your knowledge and feedback.
Thank you.
My chickens will be 3 this June. About every 6 months I bring in a stool sample to the vet. No worms! I know some people worm on a regular basis......but I figure if they don't have worms why should I be giving them medications. But I must add that I do believe in prevention....I feed them minced garlic mixed with cooked quinoa weekly, they have ACV in their water, they also have kefir and or plain yogurt on a weekly basis too. There's much info out there about preventing worms. If by chance my girls do get worms then I will worm them, but for now they are worm free and healthy.
smile.png

I do the Braggs ACV in their water. They do get yogurt and oates mixed together every Sunday.

How much garlic do you give? And does it make they eggs taste funny?

I do the Braggs ACV in their water. They do get yogurt and oates mixed together every Sunday.

How much garlic do you give? And does it make they eggs taste funny?

I have never noticed a taste difference in their eggs. For the 5 chickens I use 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (depending on the size) I put it in the garlic press or mince it finely. Then I add it to about a cup or more of cooked quinoa or cooked brown rice. I have never given the girls uncooked oats before(I should try that with their yogurt), but I do give them oatmeal on a regular basis. Braggs is the brand I use too. I add a teaspoon to a half a gallon of water. I also use it in the rabbits and the ducks water too!

Back
Top Bottom