do I really need a rooster?

Quote:
I love and agree with this post!
thumbsup.gif
I adore my eleven roosters (yes, eleven) and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Ditto. And I have more than eleven....

Thank you! I will wait to see if any of ours are roos and if not, I will allow one in our coop. We won't be totally free ranging them, but hope to some while we are outdoors. Their run will be quite large to compensate.

We do have neighbors, but not too close as we all have a minimum of 2-3 acres, and we are not in the city limits. Besides, one neighbor also has chickens. We may fit in well
wink.png
considering the neighbors have also had to chase our goats back on occassion and haven't complained
lol.png

Quote:
X2 Love hearing it and my roo is wonderful. I only hear him early in the morning. He doesn't crow during the day at all. Many roosters do crow a lot more though.

As others have said, NO you do not need a rooster. That being said there are advantages and disadvantages to having a rooster in the flock. I'd give it a try. At the very worst he can become chicken and dumplings.
lol.png

Sexing day old chicks is supposed to be 90% accurate. Which means you might get two or three cockerels out of twenty five. Wait until they start crowing and keep your favorite.

Quote:
Whereabouts in Arkansas are you located? If you don't end up with a rooster out of your current chicks, I have a few extras, and I'm sure a few more coming from my current broody hen due to hatch on the 28th.

Quote:
Whereabouts in Arkansas are you located? If you don't end up with a rooster out of your current chicks, I have a few extras, and I'm sure a few more coming from my current broody hen due to hatch on the 28th.

I am in Garland County.

Quote:

I am in Garland County.

Well that's not all that far from us. We're in Polk. If you don't get the roo you want, let me know.

I got a rooster in with my 10 chicks (supposing to be all girls) his name is Mabel, Mister Mabel now. My girls all started laying early at 16 weeks, by 20 weeks they were all laying (except for my seabright) I was told that they started early because I had a rooster. I don't know if this is true or not, but several people said it so maybe it is true.

I love hearing him crow and maybe my neighbors hear him too sometimes, but nobody has said anything (and I'm not allowed to have him) He's a good boy and I like knowing that I can let a broody hatch an egg if she wants to. Just last week 1 chick hatched (but it died 5 days later
sad.png
) but I know that I can try again with just an egg or 2...and when I eat a fertilized egg, I get rooster powers
wink.png
!

Back
Top Bottom