Do I Really Need Expensive, Organic, Non-GMO Feed?

GMO is created so that plants are resistant to Round Up.. or the GMO's most people are concerned with are. These are plants that are in fields that maybe constantly sprayed with round up to get rid of weeds. This is why people say they are covered in Pesticides. Another term used for this particular type of GMO is "Round up Ready".
https://monsanto.com/innovations/q/are-all-gmos-round-up-ready/
Now this is part of Monsantos PR crap and you can take it for what its worth. Not all GMO is part of the Round Up Ready System but those are the GMO's that people are most concerned with. At least its the GMOs I am most concerned with as I feel the over use of Round Up in Agriculture is creating a dead zone In the Gulf of Mexico near the Mississippi River Delta

My apologies, the original post wasn't worded well at all. I'm rather brain-dead today. I comprehend the definition of GMOs, as well as the fact they have little to do with pesticides. "Non-organic" is a much better fit. Which we currently are unable to provide, since money's tight.....:hmm

~Alex

I figured you likely meant organic, but sometimes people lump two ideas together when they are actually distinct even though they apply to the same thing (food).

We do not currently feed organic. It is pricier, but also moves slower on the shelves so the dates are older.

GMO is created so that plants are resistant to Round Up.. or the GMO's most people are concerned with are. These are plants that are in fields that maybe constantly sprayed with round up to get rid of weeds. This is why people say they are covered in Pesticides. Another term used for this particular type of GMO is "Round up Ready".
https://monsanto.com/innovations/q/are-all-gmos-round-up-ready/
Now this is part of Monsantos PR crap and you can take it for what its worth. Not all GMO is part of the Round Up Ready System but those are the GMO's that people are most concerned with. At least its the GMOs I am most concerned with as I feel the over use of Round Up in Agriculture is creating a dead zone In the Gulf of Mexico near the Mississippi River Delta

Actually, I disagree overall with a few points. While Roundup ready is one type of GMO, it is only one type. A farmer generally doesn’t spray anything constantly on the crops. Most likely, a crop is sprayed the minimum to control weeds. But, if you have (as an example) 10 farmers within 10 sq miles that are all spraying their 10 individual plots with roundup on their GMO roundup ready crops, each spraying 2x to control weeds during the growth phase...well, that is 20x of spraying roundup, including drift, across that 10 sq mile area. Each application of roundup costs money -irregardless of the plants being roundup ready, so a farmer will spray it enough to get the crop yield he needs and no more. But, yes, roundup getting sprayed over and over and over is a problem.

GMO plants are not only about being roundup ready. They also apply to yield and tolerances to environment, like drought.

And, don’t forget that for quite some time there was a belief that GMO peanuts were the reason kids were becoming allergic to pb. And, this is another reason people are against GMO - what the heck is the new organism going to do to the organism eating it?

For me, the issue is twofold: I have a personal flock and a flock that I care for at a school. Both are fed organic feed.

For my home birds, it is a matter of personal preference and ability...I have the financial means to do it, my girls love the Modesto Milling whole grain feed, I can store 50 pounds and my girls eat it slowly but I don't worry about nutrition loss since it's whole grain. Winning. :D

At school, eggs are sold to teachers to pay for feed and privide extra money for scholarships. The teachers pay $4 a dozen which gives us enough profit for our needs. I couldn't sell them for that much without the organic feed. We use MM, again, but the crumble, which is priced reasonably for food in my area.

It is totally possible to have healthy and happy chickens either way. In the end, it comes down to what you can and want to do. It's like ordering at a restaurant...you don't argue if the other person chooses a different entree!

We have a farm here in middle Tennessee that tests every batch of feed they get.. I plan to do the same when funds permit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Séralini_affair

A team of French scientist did a study that cost over 3 million Euros. This study was published in 2011. After the suing was done the outcome of this study was that a certain strain of lab rats did not get cancer at any different rate after being fed GMO maize or corn than was natural & normal for this same strain of lab rat to develop cancer later in life. In fact the raw data showed that the strain of lab rat used in this study developed cancer at a slightly reduced rate AFTER it was fed GMO corn.

The same findings were evident when the rats' diet also contained large doses of the herbicide RoundUp. Is almost 4 million dollars enough money to cast doubt on the danger poised by GMOs? Remember now that this money was spent with the expectation that the results would condemn GMOs not vindicate them.

GMO crops have almost eliminated the use of the most deadly agricultural insecticides while cutting top soil loss to only a small fraction of what it was previously because of the need to plow or cultivate less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Séralini_affair

The harsh truth is that the leaders of the anti GMO mafia are just looking for a witch to stone or else an apostate to burn at the stake like they did in 1600 when the church burned Giordano Bruno for claiming that the Earth revolved around that big orange thing in the day sky that we call the Sun. Bruno's transgressions were multiplied when he also claimed that those twinkly things in the night sky were not stars but far far away Suns. What really lit the fire under Bruno's bare feet however was when he said that there may be other planets unknown to us orbiting these twinkling star Suns. The forces of ignorance are as persistence as they are ignorant. To protect the youth of Rome, before Bruno was burned alive at the stake the Pope commanded that the executioner sew Bruno's tongue to the inside of his cheeks so that he could not speak of any of these travesties while the flames inched higher and higher.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

so where did you disagree?

1. All gmo is for roundup ready. No, not correct-read my post. Many reasons for gmo.

2. Farmers spray roundup all the time. No, not correct. Too costly to spray something all the time.

3. Dead zone in Gulf of Mexico is due to roundup ready gmo. No, not correct. This is due to excess fertilizer..drains into gulf...feeds fast growing algae...which block sun and take up dissolved oxygen in the water leaving little to none for the fish which die causing a dead zone. Roundup is not a fertilizer, so is not to blame for the dead zone in the Gulf.

4. The concern of most people on gmo is roundup ready - no, not correct. I think gmos are a concern to people for a variety of reasons. One of which is roundup ready, one is around the new gmo organism and how it will interact with the organisms eating it, interaction with non-gmo plants (and the seeds they produce), genetic plant diversity, native plant diversity, and even more.

If you read my post past the first sentence where I disagreed, you would have picked up most of what was just typed above, although previously hadn’t touched upon GOM dead zone.

I don't believe all GMO's are Round Up ready, I even posted a link demonstrating not all is. Its the round up ready I have a problem with.

I do not believe farmers spray round up all the time, that's a silly assumption.

We definitely disagree on the cause of the dead zone, I also believe the EPA is not honest about the cause because EPA results are bought by lobbyists. Its a corrupt bureaucracy, as most are.

The Concern I have for GMO is round up ready, its the concern people have when they mention various pesticides (in this case an Herbicide) But I never said it was everybody's concern.

Back
Top Bottom