Do I Say Something or Is It Better To Say Nothing? Re: Vulture Hocks

I looked at the site. It’s interesting because I’m studying Spanish right now. I noticed the Cochins and Rocks and Sussex are very high quality though some of the others are hatchery quality.

I looked at the site. It’s interesting because I’m studying Spanish right now. I noticed the Cochins and Rocks and Sussex are very high quality though some of the others are hatchery quality.
I agree with your assessment!

By the way, a couple of months ago I asked if they had anything other than Buff Cochins. The answer was no.

Awesome that you’re studying Spanish!! Important phrases for your repertoire are:

- gallina carioca = naked neck hen
- gallina clueca = broody hen
- gallina criolla = mixed traditional country chicken
- Saratanos = what Plymouth Barred Rocks are called here

Unfortunately, I don't really know how this breeder does their program or their goals.

A second breeder in the same general area has some really nice Brahmas. This one is awesome!! I believe the second breeder goes by a Standard, as they have mentioned it. Not sure whether they use the British Poultry Standards or the US SOP. (I figured it out now - see below).

A lot of people ask each of these two breeders if they have birds for sale. They usually do not have any stock for sale.
View attachment 2413304
This one has vulture hocks too.

I agree with your assessment!

By the way, a couple of months ago I asked if they had anything other than Buff Cochins. The answer was no.

Awesome that you’re studying Spanish!! Important phrases for your repertoire are:

- gallina carioca = naked neck hen
- gallina clueca = broody hen
- gallina criolla = mixed traditional country chicken
- Saratanos = what Plymouth Barred Rocks are called here
Cool! I’ll try to remember that.
This one has vulture hocks too.
What do you mean? All feather-legged birds have hock feathers, but those ones don’t look stiff and long to me.

What do you mean? All feather-legged birds have hock feathers, but those ones don’t look stiff and long to me.
Not all feather legged birds have hock feathers, here's my Brahmas. I'm down to 3. One had a horribly suppressed immune system, & died recently due to a worm overload. I tried getting rid of the worms, but her body couldn't handle the stress, & passed away during the night.(Word of Advice, Don't Buy Brahma Chicks From TSC) Their gene pool seems limited.
0129201411.jpg
0129201412.jpg
The one with straggly feathers is the one with the weak immune system.

I believe that what happens is when the floof is heavily favored, some birds will come out with vulture hocks.

In my mind, this adult Brahma rooster is a very good example. He has feathers in that spot, but they are soft and fluffy rather than obvious quill-feathers.

Another person has an interesting project with blue eggs. She only selects the eggs and incubates the blue ones. The chickens that result are of all colors and appearances, but around 80% lay blue eggs!

I know you're in another country so maybe they are rare, but isn't that just an easter egger then?
And if she's selecting for blue eggs, it's a simple dominant. You should be able to get 100% blue egg layers in about 1 year time - it should not be a long project.

Just seems strange to me for that to be particularly special.

I know you're in another country so maybe they are rare, but isn't that just an easter egger then?
And if she's selecting for blue eggs, it's a simple dominant. You should be able to get 100% blue egg layers in about 1 year time - it should not be a long project.

Just seems strange to me for that to be particularly special.
Good point on the simple dominant regarding blue. The problem is that so many breeds of chickens lay brown eggs....think hatchery Barred Plymouth Rocks or whatever.

They call mutt chickens here Criollos, and the eggs are valued because they are seen as farm or maybe even free-range. Multiple egg colors are a plus for sure.

I believe the person involved is also selecting eggs for the most intense blue possible.

There are relatively few white egg layers here. Leghorns or hybrids are used in a small part of the commercial business here, while other Mediterranean breeds like Anconas or Spanish or Minorcas are unheard of.

Am aware that a green egg layer with a Leghorn etc. rooster may throw blue egg layers.

I might need to ask about the intense blue eggs this person advertises and make sure she’s not a Photoshop expert heehee.

Back
Top Bottom