Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Pics
Looks like your "Packing Peanut" is in the last pic - those red shoulders were a giveaway on my OEGB's, too ... only they're both sweethearts, not little stinkers like your little one. Still, did they BOTH have to be cockerels? ...{{sigh}}
Well the weird thing is that my original order was 2 barred rocks, 2 orps, 2 EE, 2 welsummer. I received an extra buff orp (Floppy?), and then one welsummer died.
As if they weren’t confusing enough lol.

I keep thinking about this....it's gotta be the heat down there......time will tell.
I know older pullets close to POL can go redder with excitement/exertion then pale back out when they clam down..can drive ya nuts!

This is really interesting to me. I have a runty lavender maran who, at 10 1/2 weeks old still has me guessing at its sex. Every morning when it's cooler, I look at it think "pullet." In the afternoon (it's 100 degrees out), that little comb and wattles have turned from a pale peach, to a dark pink, I think "cockerel."

Make up your mind!

:bow
My head is spinning. You have no idea how many sexing threads I’ve been lurking and searching through.
If the welsummer is a guarenteed pullet (from feathers) but the comb is so boyish (big ol wattles), then does that mean there’s plenty of hope for the others?
Until they either start crowing or drop an egg in your hand, there's ALWAYS hope!

Alright y’all. This is driving me insane.
Ordered 8 sexed pullets from Ideal poultry. 9 arrived, one died, so in a theoretical perfect world I should have 7 pullets and 1 cockerel packing peanut. Yea right.

They are about 4.5 weeks old now, 5 weeks on Wednesday. I know that’s young, I will be updating this thread. (I’ve also got baby photos if wanted)
Sorry for the blurry pics, I thought these were in focus but they were all wound up and being nuts.

3 buff orpingtons. I have a hard time telling them apart; one is bigger and has a larger comb, and one is much smaller with a slightly tinier comb. The third is inbetween and always confuses me.
View attachment 1501118
View attachment 1501120

Two barred rocks. They are identical in combs and size.
View attachment 1501133
View attachment 1501119

One welsummer. S/he is definitely a favorite, these wattles have me panicking.
View attachment 1501121
View attachment 1501129

One pure white EE. S/he’s really grown on me.
View attachment 1501122
View attachment 1501128

And one “chipmunk” EE. We mutually hate each other, this is the only one who I wouldn’t care if it was a boy. Almost broke my neck trying to catch this little snot.
View attachment 1501130
View attachment 1501131
View attachment 1501132
That last pullets, the one that almost broke your neck? What kind is it supposed to be? I have one that's identical, except mine has a tuft of hair like a bluejay on his head. Pretty sure mine is a boy, he's cocky, a bully, and Everytime a bird crows, he's trying to make the others run for the coop.

Back
Top Bottom