Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Pics
Well, mystery solved, at least for Snothead. :( Found him strangled under the roost, very obvious rat snake attack. Coop received even more modifications (at this point I don’t know what more I could possibly do) and fake eggs were added.. perhaps a long shot but maybe an egg would be considered an easier target if another snake somehow got in, maybe during a daytime attack.
I also decided to cut the little one open.. I couldn’t bear not knowing what gender he was. And it was a he. So yea, mystery solved. :(

That's a heck-uv-a-way to solve a mystery. And I'm genuinely sorry. I was actually starting to really like the little guy, as if I knew him!
For the snakes - get yourself a minnow trap, the long cylindrical kind that minnows & such can swim into but not out of - and bait it with an egg. If there's another snake in there, you'll find it!

That's a heck-uv-a-way to solve a mystery. And I'm genuinely sorry. I was actually starting to really like the little guy, as if I knew him!
For the snakes - get yourself a minnow trap, the long cylindrical kind that minnows & such can swim into but not out of - and bait it with an egg. If there's another snake in there, you'll find it!
Like this?
64AF8456-7864-438A-A10D-AC30E5F6DC86.jpeg
That is a GREAT idea. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out how to catch future snakes, never would’ve thought of this!

That's EXACTLY what I mean. That was fast! You might even be able to pick up a used one at a yard sale or your local thrift shop, since it's that season, now.
I can't claim credit for the idea, though. I actually saw it here somewhere, ages ago. It's been stored in the vague recesses of my foggy mind for looooong time. I should probably keep my eyes open for one, too. My coop and run back up to a wooded creek - and we've got all kinds of interesting snakes, back there.

Boy-o-boy, that just took all of the fun energy out of this thread. Quick, somebody tell a chicken joke!
Something about crossing a road? :lol:
lol sorry for the bad news! All will be well, I’m just glad I didn’t lose one of the sweet girlies. It’ll be a miracle if I sleep tonight.. I’ll be thinking of dang snakes for weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EYWD84/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
I might just buy this square one for longterm use.. maybe?
Edit, scratch that, just bought the regular kind for cheaper and faster shipping. Lol.

Last edited:
Something about crossing a road? :lol:
lol sorry for the bad news! All will be well, I’m just glad I didn’t lose one of the sweet girlies. It’ll be a miracle if I sleep tonight.. I’ll be thinking of dang snakes for weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EYWD84/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
I might just buy this square one for longterm use.. maybe?
Edit, scratch that, just bought the regular kind for cheaper and faster shipping. Lol.
Dispatch that snake! We saw a fairly large snake skin the other day and it’s left me on edge. I think this is the same one that stole our about to hatch under a broody eggs.

I'm in SC and have 7 week old Ideal chicks and all of mine have redder combs too so I think it's just the heat and the time of year contributing to it. I don't solely go by combs and wattles to tell rooster or hen at young ages. I've had bantam cochins in the past prove me wrong and why it's wise to wait if you really like the birds. Here's a few pictures of my pullets.
Chicks8-16-18-3.jpg

Chicks8-16-18-4.jpg

Mine were a heavy assortment so I don't know positively what breeds. It's been suggested they're barnevelders and maybe partridge rocks but after seeing your welsummer I think 2 might be welsummers.
Chicks8-16-18-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom