Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Pics
Ahh, that stinks! :(
Am impressed with your investigative commitment tho.
They must have been pretty tiny and you knew what you were looking for, eh?
I looked up a couple references and knew they’d be on the spine between the heart and lungs. I couldn’t find a picture of a bird as young as mine, so I’m only 99% sure of what I found lol.

But yea, very tiny, I’m not sure I would have known what to look for if it had been a pullet.

But yea, very tiny, I’m not sure I would have known what to look for if it had been a pullet.
Lack 'O Nads?
You might not have found these had you not carefully opened the way you did.

Slaughtered a few 15wo cockerels last week, was surprised how big theirs were, about nickel sized end to end...no pics.

Lack 'O Nads?

Slaughtered a few 15wo cockerels last week, was surprised how big theirs were, about nickel sized end to end...no pics.
There's a whole, long, hysterical thread on how to cook and eat them ... well worth hunting for ...

Lack 'O Nads?

True, but I would’ve been paranoid I just missed the little suckers!

I was actually surprised at how small they were. No wonder cockerels are such a headache, I can only imagine the raging hormones as their testes grow so rapidly.

I looked up a couple references and knew they’d be on the spine between the heart and lungs. I couldn’t find a picture of a bird as young as mine, so I’m only 99% sure of what I found lol.

You found correct for the male. Easiest way to know is do you see what look like 2 rice grains. For the female at a young age before the oviduct makes it obvious, you will look in the same area, but you would see a pinkish single but flat organ. It will be very similar in color to the kidneys, just a bit paler (this would be on a fresh dissection, not sure how long it would stay that color if found later).

You found correct for the male. Easiest way to know is do you see what look like 2 rice grains. For the female at a young age before the oviduct makes it obvious, you will look in the same area, but you would see a pinkish single but flat organ. It will be very similar in color to the kidneys, just a bit paler (this would be on a fresh dissection, not sure how long it would stay that color if found later).
Ah, thank you! I will keep that in mind for the future—not that I hope to need it.

There's a whole, long, hysterical thread on how to cook and eat them ... well worth hunting for ...
Have read that one......but I don't eat organ 'meat'.
I am tho, an anatomy nerd and find it all fascinating.
After learning about chickens and slaughtering them was a bit tickled to ID nads in grocery birds, just didn't recognize what they were until my chickeneering education began.

@Tesumph how old was that little nad carrier?

Back
Top Bottom